Challenges while maintaining

Options
At times I miss vegging out in front of the tv at night watching sports or my fav. tv shows and munching on junk food. It was a way for me to unwind from a busy day and I found it very comforting and relaxing. I did not do that every night, but when I did estimate I would put down 1,000 - 1,500 calories easily in addition to what I ate earlier in the day.

Now I really don't crave junk food as much, but instead of stuffing my face I'd usually have some tea or homemade hot chocolate.

Also I realize I can still enjoy some of my favorite junk foods, but I plan for it and try to have a little earlier in the day to give me a chance to exercise some of the calories off. It was a challenge getting to this point and I am so thankful I have overcame it.

What has been some of your challenges while in maintenance and how did you overcome it (if applicable)?

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm with you--I schedule in my "binges" (Grey's Anatomy & frozen pizza with a side of wine), and they are glorious.

For me it's guilt/fear. I've been maintaining for most of this year, and I log daily, but I'm still afraid that those 40 pounds will just sneak up and pounce on my hips while I'm not looking. And I feel guilty if I don't get 5 workouts in each week--most of the time I do them b/c I enjoy starting my day by sweating, but sometimes I think I could be a little easier on myself.
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Portion Size- If I am not vigilant my portion sizes creep up without me noticing. I am trying to wean myself from measuring and loging everything because I don't want to do it for the rest of my life and I am finding that is not going to work to go cold turkey. I am going to try a week off week on plan next. Week off measuring and weighing and logging but try to eat and exersized the same as I have been. Then when I check in with the week on I can see if I am sliding into bigger portions. I hope to gain a better internal gauge this way.
  • davidaward14
    davidaward14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're after picture looks really nice. This is the third time I lost 80lbs. I lost 80lbs in 06', 12', and 13'.

Challenges I have maintaining weight:

1.) Increased complacency. I forgot how easy it is to gain the weight back, and how hard it was to lose it.

2.) Motivation loss. I made weight loss goal oriented (passing height & weight for the military), not life oriented.

3.) Busy lifestyle. Life keeps through new things my way (college, marriage, newborn)

The solutions I made for myself are:

1.) Always place health as #1 priority.
    Never allow anything (work, school, friends and even family) to conflict with eating right and exercising. Renewing goals helps with this.

2.) Log for life. Yes, relying on technology to stay healthy may not feel good; however, we rely on all sorts of technology on a daily basis: cars, computers, fridge, etc...

3.) Take a break & enjoy life! Every once in a while, it is healthy to scratch the itch.
  • davidaward14
    davidaward14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hear you. 40lbs is way too easy to gain back! It's almost like an eye blink away.
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to work out to be able to eat more. Now that I can eat more I don't seem to want to earn any extra calories? I have not been working out like I used to, and even though the scale is not really changing I can tell my body is not the firmness it used to be. I'm having daily talks with myself and will keep it up no matter what!
  • onmyown326
    Options
    At times I miss vegging out in front of the tv at night watching sports or my fav. tv shows and munching on junk food. It was a way for me to unwind from a busy day and I found it very comforting and relaxing. I did not do that every night, but when I did estimate I would put down 1,000 - 1,500 calories easily in addition to what I ate earlier in the day.

Now I really don't crave junk food as much, but instead of stuffing my face I'd usually have some tea or homemade hot chocolate.

Also I realize I can still enjoy some of my favorite junk foods, but I plan for it and try to have a little earlier in the day to give me a chance to exercise some of the calories off. It was a challenge getting to this point and I am so thankful I have overcame it.

What has been some of your challenges while in maintenance and how did you overcome it (if applicable)?

EXACTLY what you posted-munching in front of the TV. I just eat carrots or popcorn-I think its the act of munching with TV-so I choose a healthy thing to munch on-or exactly what you do lol-hot chocolate! :)
  • DeirdreGoals
    Options
    It so darn easy to gain back weight! I lost about 30, then left MFP and came back when after 3 months I re gained 10 pounds. For me its snacking. I have the hardest time just plain not eating for awhile during the day, also getting re motivated can be hard. I like logging and keeping up on MFP it helps me stay accountable!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I need the accountability of daily logging. The challenge for me was to accept that I just will ALWAYS have to do it. If I want to keep my fancy new (old, but new to me) body, it's just something I have to do. I've been maintaining for almost a year, and it's no harder now than losing was, as long as I keep up my good habits.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    I used to work out to be able to eat more. Now that I can eat more I don't seem to want to earn any extra calories? I have not been working out like I used to, and even though the scale is not really changing I can tell my body is not the firmness it used to be. I'm having daily talks with myself and will keep it up no matter what!

This is a good one too. I wax and wane about exercise. I need to be more consistent, but now that my "weight" is where I want it, I don't work as hard on my fitness.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I count out my chips and measure out my dip, mix that martini and veg out. When I finish what I've chosen to eat and still want more, I can count on some more. But I eat much less then and I know how much.

I also just normally drink water and drink things like milk or cider in little tiny glasses.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone!

soehlerking - I understand what you mean by feeling guilty for not working out and thinking that the pounds may sneak right back up on you!

Shannonthomps - That's a good idea about logging one week on and one week off...I don't think I could do that though, well not now anyway.

davidaward14 - Thank you so much! What an adorable newborn you have!! I too had to put myself first. Instead of putting off my workouts for something or someone else I've had to make a schedule and tell people in advance that I'm unavailable from this time to this time and it worked.

jessready - It sounds like you are going through a little funk. Have you considered cutting back some of your calories a little since you're not working out as much? Sending you good vibes to get back on track! :)

onmyown326 - Popcorn...mmm! Do you put anything on your popcorn? I usually pop plain popcorn in the microwave and sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top. It's very good and provides a little salt and a little cheese.

DeirdreGoals - I hear you! I had a birthday a couple of weeks ago and ummm...I had a really good time and I have no regrets. LOL I'm just now getting back to normal though. It's so not fair how easy it is to put the weight on and so hard to get off!

Keiras_Mom - You look great! How long has it been since you've stopped logging?

nxd10 - Drinking things in smaller glasses is so smart! When counting things out I'm always amazed by how little a serving size usually is!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    I haven't stopped. That's the only way I know to stay accountable. :blushing:
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    At first I struggled with not having a goal. I know maintaining weight IS a goal, but it felt like I didn't have anything to work toward. I couldn't track progress. My "goal" was to remain stationary after my previous goals had been to go someplace.

That changed when I stopped focusing on a number on the scale and starting focusing on fitness. It opened up a whole world of new goals to work toward. Then I started lifting... and achieving my strength goals has been far more rewarding than reaching any number on the scale ever was!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're after picture looks really nice. This is the third time I lost 80lbs. I lost 80lbs in 06', 12', and 13'.

Challenges I have maintaining weight:

1.) Increased complacency. I forgot how easy it is to gain the weight back, and how hard it was to lose it.

2.) Motivation loss. I made weight loss goal oriented (passing height & weight for the military), not life oriented.

3.) Busy lifestyle. Life keeps through new things my way (college, marriage, newborn)

The solutions I made for myself are:

1.) Always place health as #1 priority.
    Never allow anything (work, school, friends and even family) to conflict with eating right and exercising. Renewing goals helps with this.

2.) Log for life. Yes, relying on technology to stay healthy may not feel good; however, we rely on all sorts of technology on a daily basis: cars, computers, fridge, etc...

3.) Take a break & enjoy life! Every once in a while, it is healthy to scratch the itch.

I agree with this post. Well said.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The biggest challenge for me has been to stop losing weight. My goal was to stop at 165 and I hit that about a year ago. I'm now down to about 153. Even though I'm in maintenance mode I still exercise almost every day, but I do not want to lose any more weight. So I've been slowly adding more and more food to my diet and eating back my exercise calories; but I am still losing a little bit all the time. So I keep logging my stuff here and weighing myself every week. If I still have 500 calories left after dinner, I'll eat some Ben & Jerry's or something. Poor me right? I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually...
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Log for life. That has been my thing. Quit stressing about gaining weight during maintenance. If you're eating right, you're eating right. I do a blow out cheat meal once a month with pizza or burger/chips with a chocolate bar. But I plan it and exercise around it, so I keep my calories down. I like my body. I like how beautiful and healthy it is, so like everything worth something in life, it takes effort and discipline.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's for life, because it's not a diet but a life style....lost 120 lbs, closed account and I thought I am sorted :) I prefer to log in :)
  • zumbgurl
    zumbgurl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who has said log for life. I have a 10lb leeway that I'm allowed through my TOPS chapter and organization. I can weigh between 113-123 and right now I'm at 121.75 so trying to watch my Carbs and all a little more. I've recently gotten an online personal trainer who is my accountability buddy and who encouraged me to come back to MFP after trying another site as recommended by another trainer.