thinking of doing a 5k

im thinking of training for a 5k next march I think it would be a good goal for me can anyone give me any pointers on the best way to get ready?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    What's your fitness base like? If you can walk briskly for 30 minutes no breaks, start a program like couch to 5k. If you can't, start by working walks into your routine until you can. If you can already run/ jog a mile or so, start a few weeks into couch to 5k or look at other plans like Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon. I used the plan on a local race's website (intermediate, I think) as I was already running a mile a few times a week. It was sunburstraces.org, not a bad plan, either.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Step 1. Register for the 5k this week.
    Step 2. Go to a running store (actual running store) and buy new shoes. This is important.
    Step 3. Tell all your family and friends you registered for the 5k.
    Step 4. Download c25k and prep yourself, you start on Monday.
    Step 5. When you feel like giving up or think you can't do it, remind yourself of all those people you told you were going to do it. Remind yourself that the race date is not changing. Remind yourself you can fall on your face giving everything you can during training or you can do that during the race...your choice.
    Step 6. Success...get some high fives, suprise the **** out of people...start planning for a 10k.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Step 2. Go to a running store (actual running store) and buy new shoes. This is important.
    Step 5. When you feel like giving up or think you can't do it, remind yourself of all those people you told you were going to do it. Remind yourself that the race date is not changing. Remind yourself you can fall on your face giving everything you can during training or you can do that during the race...your choice.
    Step 6. Success...get some high fives, suprise the **** out of people...start planning for a 10k.

Agree 100%. #1, stop thinking and commit to a local race in your area. #2 NOT just any shoe, a running shoe from a running store to start you off right. #3 Tell everyone because they also might want to join you! #4 C25K or Run For God programs take you from couch to 5K at a steady pace helping you learn to jog in intervals in the beginning to continuously for a race. Look out, you might find this running and racing addicting!
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member

DO THIS. REPEAT #5 AS OFTEN AS NECESSARY.
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    Find your local park run at www.parkrun.com

Register your barcode.

Go along on Saturday.
    Run 100m. walk 900m (repeat 5 times)
    Next saturday run 200 walk 800 (repeat 5 times)
    You get the idea.

Park Run is an excellent, free, fun way to get your running mojo. Everyone will welcome you and encourage you regardless of your ability.

Most important thing is ENJOY it.

My own park run journey is 1st parkrun 39 minutes, most recent park run (#24) new PB of 30:54. I'm going to break half an hour before Christmas.

Go for it.