Help for night time hunger?

Options
So I usually eat dinner at 6:30-7:00pm. By 10:00 I am starving!! I feel like I am eating a good amount at around 400-500 calories for dinner (usually), but around bedtime, I am starving. Do you all have anything that helps curb this?

Replies

• tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If I have processed carbs, this is what happens to me. So even if my hubby makes a delicious meal that includes some, I will skip those carbs and opt for natural ones instead.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry then eat. Leave calories for before bed snack.
  • tinatacinelli
    Options
    I am always hungry between dinner and bedtime as well. I agree with the above poster....if you're hungry, then eat. I always try to leave some calories for an after dinner snack.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

This.

I usually have a bowl of ice cream before bed.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

This.

I usually have a bowl of ice cream before bed.

Ditto. I eat a full meal around six, and eat again around 9-10pm.
  • stew71455
    Options
    Drink water and try dry roasted peanuts n the shell or sunflower seed.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating before bed if you have the calories left. I eat relatively light during the day and heavier in the evening.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

I leave enough calories for a fat free yogurt if I happen to get too hungry really late. Just knowing I have it there if I need it is comforting.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I had this happen last night too (and many other nights). I had some calories left so I had a mini cucumber (pretty filling for little calories) and some Triscuits to satisfuy a salty craving. Sometimes I have vanilla greek yogurt instead of ice cream.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Yep, I plan for it and make room every night for a snack.
  • rebeccaaa_elizabeth
    Options
    I agree with leaving a little bit of calories left in case you're hungry before bed. This happened to me last night. I finished dinner around 6:30pm and by 10pm I was hearing my stomach growl. I had a few wheat thins with a tiny bit of peanut butter on them and a glass of water - which ended up being perfect.
  • blondepaparazzi
    blondepaparazzi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    On the nights when I want a snack I just do a 90 calorie snack bar kind of like the Special K ones, but I get them from Aldi's. But normally I just suck it up and drink lots of water, or some flavored water to satisfy my taste buds. But late night hunger is the worst!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and try to skip either breakfast, or lunch or both. Have a larger dinner (700-800) and and eat 2 servings of raisin bran cereal (360 cal + milk =440 cal) before bed. I swear you will not go to bed starving. If you skipped both breakfast and lunch you would be around 1200 cal for the day. Throw in some morning exercise and you could eat back those calories during the day if you get hungry before dinner.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and try to skip either breakfast, or lunch or both. Have a larger dinner (700-800) and and eat 2 servings of raisin bran cereal (360 cal + milk =440 cal) before bed. I swear you will not go to bed starving. If you skipped both breakfast and lunch you would be around 1200 cal for the day. Throw in some morning exercise and you could eat back those calories during the day if you get hungry before dinner.

Go without eating all day?? I would punch someone in the face LOL
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

^ Haha this. I'd start flipping tables.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast since I'm never hungry then, which leaves me plenty of calories for a bedtime snack (or booze). I've just recently started skipping or reducing lunch, too, but having a really big dinner and plenty of healthy munchies before bed. It just works better with my natural hunger patterns, and I seem to be losing faster as well.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options

I said try to skip either breakfast or lunch. Then i said, and what i meant was that if your not hungry during the day you could skip both and eat a really big dinner and a bedtime snack. This way you wont go to bed starving. To each their own, It works for me and many others, just not for everyone.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I leave enough calories to have a mini bag of popcorn at night. It helps me a lot!
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Going to bed hungry just makes me miserable and sends my body into starvation mode (i.e. I want to eat everything in the fridge when I wake up). If I am hungry before bed, I make sure I have a glass of water (usually low on that anyway), and then have an ounce of cheese, or chicken, or even 5 mini-pretzels. The number of calories is very small compared with the 1000 calorie deficit I have for the day, and it is always enough to calm the stomach cravings.

Bottom line: eat. Don't stay hungry. It won't help your diet.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Another vote for budgeting calories for a bedtime snack. A glass of milk with chocolate protein powder or peanut butter toast are my two favorites.