Lifters: how often?

Options
I am looking to start a lifting program in January (probably along with half the known universe), and I am already trying to plan my week- how often do you go to the gym for weights? My current goals are to cut BF, build lean muscle, and reduce the amount of loose skin I have (I have lost a significant amount of weight in a relatively short amount of time). I am planning on getting a trainer to help with form and pretty much stick to the barbell as much as possible (starting strength-esque). I'm not necessarily looking for super fast results, gradual is fine. Can I reach my goals doing 2 days a week? Right now I am cardio-heavy- running 3 days/week and Zumba 3 days/week. I don't want to give up either, and am interested in adding yoga...LOL.

My question is, how many days a week for my goals? And how may days a week do you lift?

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I lift 4x a week doing upper/lower splits. If you want results I would recommend a full body routine at least 3x a week
  • Toymvett1
    Options
    you will actually lose more weight by putting on lean muscle. I would do 3 days a week lifting and drop a day of cardio
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing 5/3/1 so I go M-W-F and sometimes Sat, usually I will do overhead press and deadlifts on Friday if I know that I won't be able to make the gym on the weekend. 3 days is plenty for me.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Expect a min of 3 days a week and find and stick with a pre-made program (don't try creating your own, you don't have the experience yet)

You don't have to give up your cardio/Zumba at all. Lifting and cardio are two completely different beasts. You will have to plan carefully though to get then both in.

I lift 4 days a week and also run 4 days week. Completely do-able. You just have to be smart about your timing and nutrition.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I do full body 3xweek, walking 3xweek and either yoga or nothing on my rest day. And you can totally drop some of that cardio!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Right now, my program is full body, 3x a week. I have limited time available for the gym, so it's easier for me to do full-body rather than splits.

I would recommend a full body program focusing on compound lifts. It's a great way to get started and see results. Strong Lifts and Starting Strength are good for beginners.

I also run, about 3 times a week. I double up some days (with a span of 8 hours or more for recovery - typically a short run and then lighter lifting). I do yoga once or twice a week, also doubled up on a running or lifting day. I make sure to take at least 1 full rest day every week. Listen to your body and rest as needed. It's not worth it to go too hard and end up burned out or injured.
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    On a normal week I lift 6 days a week, but wouldn't recommend that for anyone just starting out. Three days is usually a good amount, especially if you're working with a trainer. This way you can have one or two days with a trainer and one or two on your own, and give your body enough rest if you're planning on doing full body workouts each day.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I recommend this to everyone, because it's a great, simple starter program. Google Stronglifts 5x5, and do that. It prescribes 3x/wk, but you can do it as frequently as you need to. Once the weight starts getting heavy (it increases gradually in the program), you might feel the need drop some of the cardio to avoid running yourself into the ground, but you can make changes and be flexible when the time comes.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I second what FrnkLft said.

Personally I lift 3X a week full body and do Yoga 3x a week. No cardio
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    2 days is better than nothing but seriously, cut back on the cardio and lift HEAVY 3 days per week. Full body workouts, don't bother with body splits until you become an advanced lifter.

Congratulations on making the wise decision to lift free weights. The barbell is your friend.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days a week; 4 days Mon-Thur on focused muscle grouping and 1 day Sat a full body compound lift focused workout. I also run 3 days a week most weeks

However, initially i started out doing Stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week. This, Stronglifts 5x5, or Starting Strength might be a good starting place.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I do 3-4 days/week.

As a beginner I would suggest you do 3 day/week full body routines. Check out starting strength (great book too), or stonglifts 5x5 to get an idea of a great starter program.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of time so I only do 2 days. I do a modified Strong Lifts.

Also, start NOW!! Don't wait until January.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For your goals: 2-4 days per week. Though, I'm not sure how you're going to do zumba, run, yoga and lift. I think you need to really focus your priorities/goals.

Personally, I lift 3-5 days per week during the winter and 1-2 day per week during the summer.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information- I knew I would get terrific responses here!

I am definitely NOT doing my own planning, because I know enough to know that I am a total beginner.
    I have seen the incredible results people have had through lifting- and I'm inspired!

I also have some sort of rotator cuff impingement going on, so I am headed to the PT in a couple weeks to see where I stand on that and what that means for my lifting plans!!! Ugh.

Edited to add that I won't have the money until the 1st of the year to hire a trainer...:(

I will probably have to drop some cardio- but I really like it- the running and the Zumba. I could cut the Zumba to once per week and running to twice I guess. Never though I would be agonizing over CUTTING exercise time!!! :)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    My question is, how many days a week for my goals?

I would rethink losing some of that cardio. You don't need to be doing cardio x6 a week. If you're trying to cut BF, let your diet do the work. So, lift more and do less cardio would be my advice.
    And how may days a week do you lift?

Cardio x1 week, Lift x4 week.
  • manders7969
    manders7969 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I lift 7 days a week, several times a day! Just get you a 4 year old who wants to be held AAALLLLLLLL the time that you don't really want to hold AAAAALLLLLLL the times! 43 pounds, 5000 times a day, 7 days a week!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I lift 7 days a week, several times a day! Just get you a 4 year old who wants to be held AAALLLLLLLL the time that you don't really want to hold AAAAALLLLLLL the times! 43 pounds, 5000 times a day, 7 days a week!

Ha ha that was me 7 years ago when my son was 2!!!! Unfortunately it didn't help my physique much!!!! LOL
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I am only lifting 2 days a week right now (full body) until Christmas break because I am a dance minor at college and do modern dance 2 times a week. i also try to run, and I do Insanity 2 to 3 days a week.
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You want to lift at least 2 days per week and ideally 3 days per week. I lift on average 3-6 days per week depending on my "current" routine. I do cardio 1-3 days per week on average.