Still struggling to gain trying really hard

Options
Ok, so i have posted before about my weight loss journey, but to summarise i lost around 2 and a half stone, i am now 7 and a half stone (105pounds) and around 5ft 4

i KNOW this is underweight, hence the bulking mission

i joined a gym, cut down cardio alot (used to run half an hour a day) i now do HIT 10 minutes or so 4 times a week, followed by weighted squats and deadlifts, also floor ab workouts. Granted, i only currently lift 20/30kg as its all i can managed at the moment. I used to not even reach 1000 calories but managing to eat up to around 1200 which is a massive step up to before even though i understand its still too little. Despite this change, (upping my diet and workout out less) i am still loosing weight

Basically i was hoping for someone to give advice on a diet/workout plan? which would help me see gains, i have cut down the sugar in my diet and replaced it with more protein, and eat much more healthy fats (nuts etc) where as i never did before. Am i not gaining because i am eating too much healthy fat in proportion to carbs? or ..

Sorry this post is long, i am just new to the whole thing and so lost at the moment, it would be easy to start eating a much more calorie dense diet and reach say 2000 but this wouldnt necessarrily be healthy and i would gain fat not lean tissue. Seen as i cannot afford the lean meats etc constantly to get me there i dont know what to do.

Replies

• AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Work out your tdee.

Eat 250 calories above it per day.

Eat 1g of protein per kg of bodyweight at least.

Plenty of carbs, dont skimp on the fat, you need it for hormone regulation.

Start a program such as starting strength or New rules of lifting for women. give it 4 weeks and see how you go.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and you just have to keep trying to up your calories slowly week by week. I found it so hard at first and I still have my wobbles but I'm eating a lot more than I used to. When I increased cals to 1200 I started losing again after having been on a plateau and I kept losing as I increased up to 1400 so I guess we just need to eat more until it stops and we find maintenance.

Bear in mind that if throughout your journey you've managed to increase muscle mass (somehow I have even through the drastic calorie cutting) then your metabolism will be faster and your body can handle/wants more calories for fuel.

Keep up the strength training and hopefully you'll build muscle (if you eat enough) and sculpt your body into the best shape ever.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Work out your tdee.

Eat 250 calories above it per day.

Eat 1g of protein per kg of bodyweight at least.

Plenty of carbs, dont skimp on the fat, you need it for hormone regulation.

Start a program such as starting strength or New rules of lifting for women. give it 4 weeks and see how you go.

^^^ This. If you want to gain weight I would also cut out the HITT or at a min cut it in half.
  • Katieaholloway
    Options
    I know i need to eat much more thats a given but i am struggling so much

today has been porridge with nut butter flax and fruit, ham sandwich with salad, seed and nut energy bar, protein shake and tonight i will have wholewheat pasta with chicken and veg. - this only amounts to 1200 cals roughly according to MFP. So upping is become harder and harder and i worry i get too many carbs/fat/sugar in proportion to protein ? i have noticed more strength within my core seen as i could barely do leg lifts and now do lots yet the squats etc seem to be doing nothing what so ever.

will stopping my cardio all together cause a decline in fitness?
  • AverageUkDude
    Options
    stop the cardio, if your trying to gain muscle.

if you really need to and you can hit all your micro and macronutrient needs in 1200 calories, eat some ice cream or something to get you to what you need your target to be.

On the note of it decreasing fitness, no. The benefits of lifting heavy will help your fitness ten fold.

Thought i best edit again to clear some things up for you.

Dont concern yourself with percentages, just the raw numbers:
    For example if you need 85gs of protein a day, thats what you need, even if you up your calories.
    So just fill in what you left over in carbs and some fat, it will help your performance in the gym anyway.
  • Katieaholloway
    Options
    what types of food would you focus on to up the carbs? i used to think having bread/oats/pasta in one day wasnt a great idea and from all my research a lot of people seem to base their meals on just meat and veg, but for me i don't see how this can increase cals all that much without being really expensive?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

today has been porridge with nut butter flax and fruit, ham sandwich with salad, seed and nut energy bar, protein shake and tonight i will have wholewheat pasta with chicken and veg. - this only amounts to 1200 cals roughly according to MFP. So upping is become harder and harder and i worry i get too many carbs/fat/sugar in proportion to protein ? i have noticed more strength within my core seen as i could barely do leg lifts and now do lots yet the squats etc seem to be doing nothing what so ever.

drink more calories then. Juice isn't anymore filling then water but is full of calories.
  • erickirb
    Options
    what types of food would you focus on to up the carbs? i used to think having bread/oats/pasta in one day wasnt a great idea and from all my research a lot of people seem to base their meals on just meat and veg, but for me i don't see how this can increase cals all that much without being really expensive?

When trying to gain, as long as you get a minimum amount of protein and fat, carbs are a great way to increase cals; most people when bulking eat a *kitten* ton of them.

Pop-tarts are a good way to increase cals too, higher in fat and carbs, ice cream isn't very filling and full of fat and carbs (which is good when trying to gain weight)
  • AverageUkDude
    Options

carbs are carbs, find calorie dence food full of carbs and you have a win.

Its what you like to eat, when im bulking i tend to spend the last 5/600 calories of my food on garlic bread/french fries/chocolate/ice cream and all sorts of stuff.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options
    drink more calories then. Juice isn't anymore filling then water but is full of calories.

This is what I do... I put in a cut of oats in my smoothie... adds 300+cals and 50+g carbs.
  • AverageUkDude
    Options

This is what I do... I put in a cut of oats in my smoothie... adds 300+cals and 50+g carbs.

I do a similar thing occasionally, nut oil into protein shakes, easy way to add some serious calories :)
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    If you're working out as often as you've mentioned, try taking creatine in moderate amount. It'll give you a better pump from all the food and drinks you eat and stimulate them for a better workout, resulting in better weight gains.

Quakers Oats is a great way to gain body weight, it has great carbs and fats, add a scoop of whey into it and you got yourself a great snack or breakfast meal. It's very easy to eat!

good luck!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Don't worry about fat or carbs. Just eat. Can you have dairy? Mayo on your sandwich. Full fat dressing and cheese on your salad. Chicken thighs, red meat, salmon. Drink whole milk.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options
    Don't worry about fat or carbs. Just eat. Can you have dairy? Mayo on your sandwich. Full fat dressing and cheese on your salad. Chicken thighs, red meat, salmon. Drink whole milk.

^^^ Very great examples.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Sorry this post is long, i am just new to the whole thing and so lost at the moment, it would be easy to start eating a much more calorie dense diet and reach say 2000 but this wouldnt necessarrily be healthy and i would gain fat not lean tissue.

This is incorrect.

Baggage that comes from fat people telling other fat people how to be less fat, and only understanding that perspective.

The ratio of muscle to fat gain is dictated largely by:
    - Magnitude of the surplus (larger = ratio skews toward fat)
    - Genetics (male/female and your individual makeup will have a big effect on the ratio)
    - Exercise (regular strength training will skew the ratio toward muscle)
    - Rest (insufficient sleep/recovery will skew the ratio toward fat)

What you eat plays a fairly tiny role, unless you are doing something very abnormal (excessively low protein or excessively high fat).

Right now you are trying to gain weight (and by proxy muscle mass). That which helps you reach that goal is healthy. Eating a more calorie dense diet is exactly what you should be doing, not attempting to eat massive amounts of low calorie foods. Stop viewing food like a fat person views food. Calorie density is not bad.

Maintaining my cardio fitness when bulking is important to me. Heaven forbid I have to eat an extra half pint of ice cream to make up for it. I personally think it keeps the gains a little cleaner (the fat burning zone thing often talked about; worthless when cutting as its a wash, but when gaining, it is not a wash, I think there is a real effect).
  • Katieaholloway
    Options
    Oh no by that i just meant, i could just eat a cake and add like 500 calories, but the sugar and stuff really isn't good and won't aid healthy gains (i thought) i didn't mean i would just get fat by eating 2000 calories :) sorry
  • erickirb
    Options
    Oh no by that i just meant, i could just eat a cake and add like 500 calories, but the sugar and stuff really isn't good and won't aid healthy gains (i thought) i didn't mean i would just get fat by eating 2000 calories :) sorry

??? It would not matter if the excess cals came from pure sugar or fat (as long as you have the min fat and protein covered) Cals, fat, sugar are not bad.
  • Katieaholloway
    Options
    i guess im just stuck in a frame of mind that dense foods are bad, for the last year ive only eaten low cal veg/fruit based diet. i now realise that yeah that aids weight loss but doesnt give you the body you actually want (im now very slim but not toned and lost my curves), need to have the confidence to up my intake and allow myself treats, just worry it will make me pile on the pounds like before.
  • cleavensmith
    cleavensmith Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ok, so i have posted before about my weight loss journey, but to summarise i lost around 2 and a half stone, i am now 7 and a half stone (105pounds) and around 5ft 4

i KNOW this is underweight, hence the bulking mission

i joined a gym, cut down cardio alot (used to run half an hour a day) i now do HIT 10 minutes or so 4 times a week, followed by weighted squats and deadlifts, also floor ab workouts. Granted, i only currently lift 20/30kg as its all i can managed at the moment. I used to not even reach 1000 calories but managing to eat up to around 1200 which is a massive step up to before even though i understand its still too little. Despite this change, (upping my diet and workout out less) i am still loosing weight

Basically i was hoping for someone to give advice on a diet/workout plan? which would help me see gains, i have cut down the sugar in my diet and replaced it with more protein, and eat much more healthy fats (nuts etc) where as i never did before. Am i not gaining because i am eating too much healthy fat in proportion to carbs? or ..

Sorry this post is long, i am just new to the whole thing and so lost at the moment, it would be easy to start eating a much more calorie dense diet and reach say 2000 but this wouldnt necessarrily be healthy and i would gain fat not lean tissue. Seen as i cannot afford the lean meats etc constantly to get me there i dont know what to do.
    Say for example your goal weight is 120 pounds
    Get at least 120 grams of protein plus 25 grams=145 grams
    435 grams of carbs 145 x 3 on workout days/ 218 grams on non workout days 145 x 1.5
    73 grams of fat

Protein 145 x 4 = 580 calories
    Carbs workout days 435 x 4 = 1740 calories
    Carbs non workout days 218 x 4 = 872 calories
    Fat 73 x 9 = 657 calories
    So workout days eat 2977 calories and Non workout days 2109 calories
    Following a generic 4 day Upper/Lower Body Split workout, you should be fine.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Aim for 1g-1.5g protein per lb lbm (I personally respond better to 1.3), 0.3-0.5g fats per lb, fill rest with carbs (should come out around 250- 300). Cut the HIIT, lift heavy, raise your intake to a 500 surplus if you're a hard gainer. Focus on compounds, they will give you your size.

Protein per lbm is for cutting not bulking

You can check out my diary for an example of how successful bulking macros look.