A serious question about humour

Options
FatHuMan1
FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
When you ask a woman what she looks for in a man, a large percentage of them include "sense of humour" in their list. Often times it's at the top of the list, along with confidence, intelligence, looks, strength, and maybe a few others. Now, from an evolutionary standpoint I understand why women would be attracted to those other personality traits. They all, in some way or another, either offer security ( confidence, intelligence, strength) or is a sign of health (looks, strength, etc), thereby increasing the odds of propagating the species and carrying on their lineage. But what does humour bring to the table, other than the occasional laugh and smile. Why is it such an attractive trait. To women specifically, as I would posit that, although still attractive, it is not as high on a list of desirable qualities that men look for in a mate?
Any theories? If there are any sociologists on the boards I would especially be interested in hearing your opinions.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    There's a reason what they're attracted to changes with their hormones (statistically speaking)
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Because with humor you can communicate your feelings without either party being butthurt. Butthurt sucks, from both sides. Butthurt = bad relationships = b'bye "love".
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I don't want someone with a sense of humor. I'm serious 100% of the time and need a man that is exactly the same.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It makes people feel comfortable and at ease. Laughter is a great stress reliever. Taking things too seriously is often a problem for women and it's nice to have a man who can give a lighter view at times. Not all the time. But sometimes.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Cause sitting around the fire at night, gnawing on your wilder beast leg, nursing the baby, listening to the wild hyenas, and looking at stars all night gets boring.

We expect the man to provide for many things in the relationship including entertainment. Plus, I think it goes back to an intelligence, social hierarchy thing.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    You need a sense of humor for dealing with polar mood swings.
    Also, have you never laughed during sex??? If you haven't, make her laugh -you'll get it. :bigsmile:
  • LLT57
    LLT57 Posts: 21
    Options
    Just from a personal point of view because I wouldn't want to be stuck with someone who would take themselves too seriously and be a miserable so and so. I like someone who can do "second degree" humour ie not take things too literally.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Because with humor you can communicate your feelings without either party being butthurt. Butthurt sucks, from both sides. Butthurt = bad relationships = b'bye "love".

This exactly. My husband teases and makes fun of me all the time, but it's in all in good fun because he does it in a way that makes me laugh.

It's good to note though, that it's important for a guy to have a sense of humor that doesn't get stale through the years. Keeping the jokes fresh are key. After 5 years of being together, my husband never ceases to amaze me with some of the things that come out of his mouth. :laugh:
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Options
    Because if you make me laugh you instantly become more attractive.. and let's face it, as we age our looks will fade, but we can always laugh together.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    But what does humour bring to the table, other than the occasional laugh and smile.

I find people who have a good sense of humor are more positive, easy going, able to handle difficulties well, and generally are just more fun to be around.

Laughing is known to be some of the best medicine for life.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI ladies: if you ask man what he looks for in a woman and he doesn't reply, "my penis", he's lying. Anything else you can offer is just a bonus.

If a guy told me this, I would laugh heartily and give him my number! You know, if I wasn't already married. Hehe.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Humor, now that's funny!!!
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yes. In my experience, all women are looking for a guy with a good sense of humour. A good sense of humour wrapped up in George Clooney.

Failing that a 9 inch sense of humour with good girth and a big head.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Yes. In my experience, all women are looking for a guy with a good sense of humour. A good sense of humour wrapped up in George Clooney.

Failing that a 9 inch sense of humour with good girth and a big head.
    I don't find George Clooney attractive.
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI ladies: if you ask man what he looks for in a woman and he doesn't reply, "my penis", he's lying. Anything else you can offer is just a bonus.

for the win
  • TheBackStory
    Options
    Laughter is a good thing. Think about it... I smile when I laugh, it's a genuine smile. When a person smiles, they are usually happy. Who doesn't want to feel happiness?
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Going out on a crazy limb here... but propagating the species/survival of the fittest requires a mate that isn't going to kill me before we can reproduce :) If he (we) can laugh at the ups and downs in life, both at each other and at the insane little beings we're bringing into the world... well, I figure that ups my odds of passing on those genetics.

Did you read about that lion at the zoo? Lioness must have made some bad joke and he forgot how to laugh. :(
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure they've proven that being happy is good for your health.