The only sad thing about losing 35 pounds..

Options
is that I gave away my WHOLE closet, practically, last night. That's about 30 pairs of nice jeans that my mother and I had a fun time imaging how I used to fit into, and almost 60 shirts. That's like $1000. If not more. Losing weight is not cheap..

Replies

• suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Just think how FUN-FUN-FUN it will be to shop for new clothes!!! Congratulations.
  • FuerImmerStark
    Options
    Very true! But I still plan on losing about 20+ more. So, there goes those clothes!
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    I hope you saved at least one pair of pants and made a pants purse out of them. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113844-post-your-pants-purse-pix
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    is that I gave away my WHOLE closet, practically, last night. That's about 30 pairs of nice jeans that my mother and I had a fun time imaging how I used to fit into, and almost 60 shirts. That's like $1000. If not more. Losing weight is not cheap..

Well lots of clothing gone but I am still going to say WTG!!!

Don't think about the cash :flowerforyou:
  • mama050709
    mama050709 Posts: 100
    Options
    That's why I created a weight loss support group in this moms group I'm in, we exchange clothing that doesn't fit us :)
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    True, it is not cheap and I use that as motivation to stay on track and NOT gain back the weight I have lost. I also gave away a ton of clothes, as I did not want to have them in storage "just in case"! Kudos for cleaning out your closet and looking forward. I have to say that I only buy things on sale and have found a lot of deals so it really hasn't been that bad, over time. ALSO thrift stores actually have some great hardly worn clothing if you take the time to shop the racks.
  • erikaperry
    Options
    You should partner with others losing weight (at least one heavier and one smaller than you) and you can give yours to the heavier and receive from the smaller person!!! Congratulations!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I agree! When I first started losing weight, I was kind of scared to get into it because I knew so many of my clothes I wouldn't be able to wear after. And then I lost enough weight that my clothes didn't fit well, they looked terrible and baggy on my skinnier body and I now refuse to wear most of my wardrobe. I know it is a lot of money, but I'm employed and I can afford to buy new clothes now. Plus new clothes look so much better on me! I've been buying things sparingly, wearing as much of my old clothes as I can, and buying clothes that will fit for more than a month. I've gone from having about 10 pairs of jeans and 5 pairs of work pants to 1 pair of work pants and 2 pairs of jeans. And even one of the jeans is just about too big.

I did find a consignment shop that will take gently used clothes and pay for them. It wasn't a ton, $50 for 14 items, but it was something! And you can find new items there for really cheap. The chain is Plato's Closet, and they have locations around the country. You should see if there is one near you. I'm saving up another pile of clothes that I'll take there at the end of the summer when I know I won't be wearing them again next summer. And then there's all the winter clothes I packed away last year that probably don't fit. I know what I'm asking for for Christmas and my bday this year!
  • karen1003
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! I have spent months cleaning out closets and storage containers as the seasons change and have given away a ton of clothing to a local mission and to some good friends. It feels so good to try on clothes that used to be tight and now fall off and to know that they will be put to good use by someone else in need.
    As I buy smaller clothes, I have been definitely only shopping sales as well. I still have quite a bit more weight to lose so I don't want to invest too much money.
    But it's all worth it for better health and feeling so much more energy!
    Congratulations on your great success!
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just think of the money you will save on medical issues later on down the road from losing all the weight! I'm with the other poster who said: WTG!!
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    hahahhahaha That's true, but man feels good, huh! Great job!
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options

30 pairs?! I don't think I've owned 30 pairs of jeans EVER! That said, look forward to another shopping spree :)
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    From the guys side, my baggy old shirts now only get used for training in (I don't like tight clothing) my combats have gone from just about up to my hips to over my waist (baggy doesn't matter) and with the drawstraps tightened rather than at bursting point.

Very soon I'm going to have to replace everything.

I can't wait though :) Bring it.
  • FuerImmerStark
    Options
    I hope you saved at least one pair of pants and made a pants purse out of them. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113844-post-your-pants-purse-pix

I read this post before, and I actually thought about it!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I kept a pair of jeans when I was 90lbs heavier. A reminder on how I once was. And its gives me inpiration on far I've came.
  • keithaskar
    Options
    good job
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    If you're not against it, you can always try a Goodwill or Volunteers of America to help augment your clothing until you get to your goal weight. I like the stores that are very close to well-to-do cities. Often you find very-pricey things that have never been worn with the original tags still on them. I've gotten very expensive, never worn before designer jeans for $3 - $4 doing this. Same thing with tops, etc.
  • garciabm
    Options
    You'll look better in your new jeans! You luck girl! Bye second hand till you reach your goal to offset the cost of buying new.
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I know it's expensive, but doesn't it feel great?

For me, I ended up being fine with the smaller closet at my new place, because I had gotten rid of a good chunk of my wardrobe. Now, as I'm still not at my ideal weight, I'm trying not to buy too many items- just the essentials, and not super high quality, because I plan on chucking these out in the hopefully near future.

It's one of the better problems to have, eh?
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    I agree to - especially when you don't have the extra $$ to buy more. I have limited my summer buying pretty well but its going to get colder so I'll need to get a new coat and warm tops. But have to admit- I love going into the misses section instead of the woman's section :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!