A few questions before I jump into this.

Options
I don't even know if this belongs here but I just wanted to ask a few questions before I get started!

I'm 18, 5'10, 250lbs and I have stretch marks all over. stomach, hips, under my arms.. you name it. If I plan to lose 50lbs will I get excess skin? I know it's so stupid but that's what I'm most afraid of. I've read that because I'm still young my skin will shrink easily, is that true? If I do this very slowly will it give me a better chance of not getting any excess skin?

And if I do get excess skin how long will it take to go away if it can go away?

I know I really shouldn't care about this and I should focus on just being healthy but I wanted to hear what you all had to say. :-) Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If you are losing at a healthy rate, you should lose the excess skin. As far as the stretch marks, those you will have for life. Eventually they will get lighter, but never go away. Best of luck,
  • Gonzafitness
    Options
    It all depends on how fast you lose the weight. Thankfully you are young so your skins elasticity should be good. I've lost 49 lbs and have no excess skin. Still have 31lbs to go. I have stretch marks but they are hardly noticeable. When I first started losing weight they were red and hideous. It WILL get lighter. You can only see mine if your are looking for them :)
    Any way jump right into it. The changes you will feel after losing 50 lbs will be remarkable!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you are losing at a healthy rate, you should lose the excess skin. As far as the stretch marks, those you will have for life. Eventually they will get lighter, but never go away. Best of luck,

^this.

OP: Lose at a slower pace and your skin will have time to fix itself, with the exception of the stretch marks (sort of, they will get lighter but they will always be there and that is OKAY!--I'd rather be at a healthy weight with battle marks than be obese/overweight and still have those marks anyways!)), and even if you happen to end up with loose skin, there are still ways to fix that without surgery when you get to maintenance (like exercising). Drink a lot of water, use lotion (some people in maintenance swear by it and I use both aloe and cocoa butter lotions religiously on the areas I'm afraid will get loose as I drop pounds), exercise, and don't try to lose the 50 pounds in a month. Go slowly and you'll be fine. You look pretty young in your profile picture and we tend to "bounce back" from all sorts of things while we're young. I told my mom (who just lost like 90 pounds this year and is 51 and had three C-sections and doesn't have very loose skin) that I was worried about this and she just laughed at me (I'm 22, no kids, same amount to lose). Don't worry about it until you get there. :)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Honestly, it is not a silly concern, and while yes being healthy is important so is being happy.

The process of weight lose for some of us can be very ugly, there was a point for myself where I lost my boobs, my thighs were saggy and stretch marks were just nasty, but after making to that point in my weight lose I could not give up and go back so I focused on other things and low and behold the stretch marks are not so noticeable, the skin does not sag as much and I can honestly look in mirror at myself nude and admit I look pretty good - not even at goal yet. Sorry, boobs did go away but I came to like them they way they are, they fit my frame.

Take your time, give it time and given that you have youth on your side (I am 45 and was sure what to expect :happy: ) your skin may recover just fine.
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't think your concern is silly at all. I have had the same concern. Thanks for posting the question. I know they also have fairly expensive creams on the market to reduce stretch marks. I'm not sure of the name or if they work, but it's something you can check into if you'd like.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Loose skin and stretch marks wont kill you whereas 50lbs excess weight might.

I am 62 years old and have lost 50lbs with very little loose skin. I would think at your age it will snap right back.

Just go for it and when you start losing you will feel amazing. Good luck
  • nlb1106
    nlb1106 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I am 22 with over 100lbs to lose and this is the one big thing that has been worrying me. I feel more reassured now
  • missing75
    missing75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thi is my second "big diet": in my first I lost 20kg and I've stretch marks ever since, now white, and I did lose my brests! In this last 3 years I've regained my kgs so now I'm starting again.
    In my experience, from my previous diet, I've learned a few things: exercising is fundamental! I didn't do it at the beginning but since i started I avoided new stretch marks and saggy arms skin is not that bad... I do play tennis and I swim in the summer, in the winter I play wii tennis and do lifts for my arms (only 4kg, but every day) and lunges. (I use some dvds or even youtube videos to help me).
    For the stretch marks I use almond oil and it works a bit for me: it's not expensive and easy to find (at least here in italy). I use it every day after the morning and evening showers and it helps to elasticize the skin.
    For the breasts I haven't found any solutions!
    I apologize for my english; I'm italian! Hope you undestand.