I just gave BLOOD.

Options
:flowerforyou:

I just gave blood. So, I guess I won't be walking or doing any exercises for the next day or two. :brokenheart:

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That should count as exercise. How many calories does the body need to consume to regenerate a litre of blood cells?
  • SuccessHere
    SuccessHere Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    That should count as exercise. How many calories does the body need to consume to regenerate a litre of blood cells?

Hmm... that's a very interesting question. lol
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Does that mean that a vampire eats negative calories?

WHOA...Mind = Blown
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

I've seen this discussed before, can't remember the exact number but it's spread out over a period of time so it works out to very little calories per day.

I've given blood a couple times and the first time I exercised the same day and was okay. If you're feeling fine some light exercise wouldn't hurt too much. Be careful though because I have passed out before. Make sure you eat and drink plenty before and after
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

Does that mean that a vampire eats negative calories?

WHOA...Mind = Blown

Mine is now!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated. Unless you're lightheaded, walking is probably fine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Blood donation is in the food database but I've no idea if the negative calorie count assigned is correct.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    thank you for donating
  • SuccessHere
    SuccessHere Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wow according to MFP donating blood is burns 650 calories! Can that possibly be right??
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wow according to MFP donating blood is burns 650 calories! Can that possibly be right??

I always thought it was around the 600cals mark as well. Not sure where I learned that though.
  • colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That's probably based on this research done by the University of San Diego: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2333882/Donating-blood-good-YOUR-health-receiver.html so it seems legit. However, I imagine that the exact number of calories varies from person to person, and so I would take it with a grain of salt.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I thought "seriously???" but apparently it burns 650 cals per donated pint. :huh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2333882/Donating-blood-good-YOUR-health-receiver.html
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

I always thought it was around the 600cals mark as well. Not sure where I learned that though.

Well hell, now I know what my workout will be after leg day.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I thought "seriously???" but apparently it burns 650 cals per donated pint. :huh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2333882/Donating-blood-good-YOUR-health-receiver.html

woah
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Giving a pint of blood is about the same as burning 500 calories. But I've never been told to go refrain from exercise for more than 24 hrs. I always exercise the day after.
  • spangey13
    Options
    I donate blood quite often. I have always just commenced my usual routine the following day. If you drink plenty of water on the day you go to donate, the blood will pump out much easier as well.

Have a little bit extra to eat, plenty to drink and you should be grand the next day.

Good on you for donating :-)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    dont log it.

that's like logging "dusting: light effort"
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options

I've no reason to disbelieve this particular article (and it will make me feel even better after my next quarterly donation!) but for the non-UK readers just in case you haven't already spotted this, please be aware that the Daily Mail is not always a totally reliable source of accurate and unbiased information (in my personal opinion and experience, others may of course differ and perhaps that is true of all newspapers to some extent!). Not to say it can't be an entertaining read....

I've never been told to refrain from exercise for more than a couple of hours after donating, just to avoid anything too strenuous with the arm the needle was in.

Re Vampires, presumably as they are consuming the blood it is positive calories for them? Not that it matters given that they seemingly can't gain or lose weight anyway, depending on your favourite vampire storyline!!!!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I just looked at several on-line sources for this statement about calorie loss and blood donation. It does not appear to be a proven fact and definitely not an invitation to consume 650 extra calories to make up for blood donation. Staying hydrated and getting enough rest appear to be the key factors in allowing your body to replenish the cells.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Even if replacing the blood does burn 600 cals, it is spread out over 20-59 days so you would have an extra 10-30 calories per day. Not really the same as doing a workout that burns 600cals and definitely doesn't mean you can eat an extra 600 cals the day you donate.

Keep donating though people :)