Struggling with body image

2»

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Hi. Well done on what you are achieving, good on you. I would say keep the running going, cardio will not make you gain weight, if anything it would make you lose. There isn't really much need for exercise with myfitnesspal because already cutting down on calories will make you lose weight, so if you can maybe do a bit less running, although you don't need to lose weight, going over your calorie limit will help you gain. Don't worry what other people will think because they will not think you are fat. That is your illness making you think that but it is not true. They will think you are thin for sure. I know it is hard for you seeing the changes but these changes are good, they are going to make you look really well.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    How about walking, biking, yoga and maybe strength training instead of running? Run it by your team, of course. Having performance goals helped me recover from an eating disorder. I love my body for what it can do - doing those things requires me to stay healthy and that means that eating is part of reaching my goal.

If exercise was going to hurt you, your team wouldn't want you doing it. What strength training and running/walking will do, which biking won't so much, is to help maintain your bone density.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,760 Member
    People will think "Thank goodness, the poor sick girl is on the road to a healthy life and weight."

You look too thin in your profile picture. Get yourself healthy. Follow your professional team's advice.
    And know that you are worth the struggle.

All the best in your efforts to recovery.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    So I am recovering from anorexia...yes I have a team and yes they know all this. I have started gaining weight outpatient for the first time. I officially today have gained 3 lbs. I am 5 ft 7.5 inches and now weigh 89.6 lbs...this is highest I have been in months and I haven't been over 90 lbs since Feb. I am struggling because already I see the changes in my face and thighs and the fit of my clothes and I am freaking out. I know I have to gain to 110-115 by may and I am just scared what others will think about me. Anyone have any support.

Also, after my 5k on thanksgiving I am thinking of stopping my two 30 minute runs per week. I run really slow (thanks anorexia) and only run like 20 mins of the 30...will this make me gain a ton?

Thanks for everything.

Why do you care about what others think of you?

*I mean this in the nicest possible way, you can be very proud of what you have accomplished so far. I think we have all feared judgement from others at one point or another, but I really think if you can address your concern for what others think of you, then maybe this barrier can be broken!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Your smile, is lovely. The person in your photo with you looks like someone very special to you. You regaining health will make him very happy for you, because you will be able to put so much more of you into that smile. You will feel the benefits too. promise

take care