Anyone with "step" goals?

Options
I just got a pedometer a little over a week ago and I'm loving it! Anyone else use a pedometer and have a goal of how many steps a day/week/whatever?

I set my goal at 12,000 steps because that is roughly how many steps a day it would take to walk the Appalachian Trail in one year, and that gives me a "fun" goal to work towards. It's also a goal that requires me to add physical activity into my day consciously- walking to the grocery store, going for a stroll after dinner, pacing while on the phone. I have been doing KettleWorx three times a week as well, but I think that the extra activity from using the pedometer has definitely helped me by allowing me to consume a little bit more in the way of calories while still losing weight.

Has anyone had any success using a pedometer? I would love to hear some success stories!

Replies

• wdwmindy
    Options
    My goal is set to 10,000 steps a day. Today I am at 11,332. I love how you arrived at your daily goal! Mine is boring, just what was recommended lol.

I got my Fitbit (fancy pedometer) a few months ago and walking more along with calorie counting (MFP) I have lost weight. I had been sedentary most days and on good days I would walk about 4,000 steps. As soon as I got my Fitbit and saw how little I was actually moving I pushed myself to hit at least 10,000 steps a day.

I started out with 40 pounds to lose, I've lost 16 or 17 pounds since August.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    just you and every other person here with a fitbit
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have two goals:

1.) 10k steps per day is what is "generally" recommend to keep everything "well oiled".

2.) My whole extended family has fitbits. I CAN'T let my younger brother beat me on the 7 day leader board! So, second goal depends on how well my brother is doing.

As to the "success story" portion of the question. About half of my extended family with fitbits use it as an integral part of tracking their overall calorie burn (but use HRM for formal exercises) which is part of diet tracking. It doesn't seem intuitive, but if you just KEEP MOVING, you can burn 500-1000 additional calories in a day.

My wife who has been fit and trim since I met her (but not prior to that), uses the fitbit to give her a sense of how much extra she can eat on any given day, and still not gain weight. Thus, she keeps on stepping (avg 16k/day) so she can enjoy bigger portions (meals and desert). She has always spent 30-60 minutes a day in formal exercises, so the fitbit is just sorta "gravey".
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys! I actually don't have a Fitbit, but I think I might ask the hubby for one for Christmas, hearing that you all have gotten good results.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My goal is set to 10,000 steps a day. Today I am at 11,332. I love how you arrived at your daily goal! Mine is boring, just what was recommended lol.

I got my Fitbit (fancy pedometer) a few months ago and walking more along with calorie counting (MFP) I have lost weight. I had been sedentary most days and on good days I would walk about 4,000 steps. As soon as I got my Fitbit and saw how little I was actually moving I pushed myself to hit at least 10,000 steps a day.

I started out with 40 pounds to lose, I've lost 16 or 17 pounds since August.

I love that you calculated how much you were walking around before- I wore my pedometer on a "regular day" before I started my goal, and was shocked to only see around 4500 on it! In my mind, if I'm walking 7-8k more a day because I have a mental incentive, that is at least one step forward to better health (and losing a couple lbs as a result would be great!)
  • astange83
    Options
    I use the 10k step program on my treadmill on my long work out days, especially when I'm not feeling like doing 5miles. I'm not allowed to leave until 5mi or the 10k is up that way. Otherwise I may quit at 30 min b/c I'm tired or what not (haven't yet but certainly felt like it)
  • mes416
    mes416 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have an "up" by jawbone bracelet and boost my goal to 20,000 steps during the week and am not so strict on weekends and lower it to 12,000. Sometimes knowing that i have a goal to meet will help me make the better decision such as walking back to my house instead of hopping on a shuttle. I am a little extreme, but when I only have about 18 pounds left to lose, I am ready to be closer to be meeting my goal! I don't want to drop the weight quickly because I want it to stay off, but i'm trying to find a nice balance because sometimes the amount of calories I burn being active makes me that much hungrier, I just can't seem to win!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep. my goal is 12K steps a day. i dont count my workout in that either. i work a sedentary job but get my steps in by doing stuff like printing to a printer that's further away, walking to my coworkers to ask them a question instead of messenger and playing feather with my cat.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I use steps goals and once lost 35 lbs. doing so with the Fitbit.