advice on getting started

Options
I need some tips or advice on starting this plan and keeping with it. For me it's hard to stick with something when you see little or no results for all the effort put into doing it. Knowing that I didn't get this way in just one night I know that it'll take lots of patience in losing it.

Replies

• caitlynforkz
    Options
    Getting started was tough for me too!
    I found taking progress pictures in the same clothing once every two weeks REALLY helped me see progress, even though people never noticed I was able to see my body changing through pictures, that made me more confident to stick with it.
    Also if you try different programs and workouts instead of just doing the same thing, have fun with it and you'll be seeing progress in no time!
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've recently started (three weeks ago today), and i can tell you the first thing I did was empty my fridge and pantry of anything "bad". I've also done a lot of research on what I should eat (healthier choices), although I'm still learning. I also joined a gym and looked into the free gym at my work. I hired a personal trainer because I have some back issues and had no idea what to do. It was a good investment in money because I've learned a lot from him I didn't know.

As for progress, I think you have to be patient. In the first week or so, I fluctuated in the same three pounds. Then, I lost some, and then this whole week, I've been fluctuating in the same pound.

I'm not taking pictures as others have suggested, but just in looking in the mirror, I can see a little difference in my face and my waist. I need to get a measuring tape to measure though.

Just looking at the scale isn't good, I've found. You can fluctuate for many reasons. I think taking measurements and seeing how your clothes fit is better. I think the pair of jeans I frequently wear feel a little better on me.

As everyone on here has said to me, baby steps.

For me, it's about analyzing what I eat that is so bad. I have a problem with carbs. So, I'm researching healthier choices.

Also, be strict about entering your calories into the food diary. It has been very enlightening for me. I didn't know that my salads have carbs, or that I wasn't eating nearly enough calories per day. Yesterday, I burned off more than I ate and felt like I ate a lot.

That'll be a good start.

Also, identify some exercises you might like. I find walking hurts my back, but the bike and arc trainer do not. So, I don't use the treadmill at all right now. Swimming also hurts my back. Zumba does a little, but I avoid movements that bother me and just walk them (like twisting moves). I also love tennis, so I've tried to find people to play with and have found a wall in my neighborhood to practice on.

That's a good start. Also, people advised me to get a heart rate monitor to track your movement and calories. I just bought one today but didn't calibrate it right. I want to know exactly how much all my effort is burning off of me!

Well, much luck to you and please friend me if you'd like!

Jen :)