Quitting the gym....

Options
.... but before I do....

Who rates non-gym workouts over gym workouts?

. I actually like working out at the gym but the actual process of getting there, changing, working out, showering, changing back, and driving home never seems to fit in my day now and I walk a lot, play/coach netball once a week, and work out at home (have a pool, home gym, a few machines in the communal gym and a med ball/dumbbell/swissball).

I just realised that I haven't been since July yet got a lot fitter anyway!

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If you have everything you need at home then go for it! The only other reason to stay at a gym is if you won't work out at home or you work out harder in public. Since you seem to be doing pretty well with the home workouts, why waste hard-eared money.

I'm consiering quitting mine soon. I'm still going but I now have almost eveything I need at home
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Who needs a gym with all that at home? Myself, I think gyms are huge ripoffs. I've lost almost 140 lbs and been to a gym maybe 5 or 6 times during the whole process. Who needs all the contracts and hassle?
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing jut fine without it! I personally need the discipline so for me it isn't an option, but if I were in your shoes I'd give it a shot and do home workouts. I think the intensity of a home workout vs. a gym work out is entirely up to you and can be just as intense if not more using home equipment.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing jut fine without it! I personally need the discipline so for me it isn't an option, but if I were in your shoes I'd give it a shot and do home workouts. I think the intensity of a home workout vs. a gym work out is entirely up to you and can be just as intense if not more using home equipment.

plus you can do it in front of TV or with the music you like cranked up high.....

I've kept the gym membership 'just in case' but after damaging my spine (minorly) I just haven't gone back and haven't missed it....
  • Shateyn
    Options
    .... but before I do....

. I actually like working out at the gym but the actual process of getting there, changing, working out, showering, changing back, and driving home never seems to fit in my day now and I walk a lot, play/coach netball once a week, and work out at home (have a pool, home gym, a few machines in the communal gym and a med ball/dumbbell/swissball).

Pool and home gym!! Mind if I come over?
  • trudijoy
    Options
    .... but before I do....

Pool and home gym!! Mind if I come over?

the beauty of living in an apartment complex.... it's not a huge pool but you can do lengths. Usually I just get in and clown around, turn somersaults in the water etc....works for me!

sure :p
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Love my gym .. wouldn't give it up for anything.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Love my gym .. wouldn't give it up for anything.

i used to be like that because it was my escape from the demands of the real world, but now I find that walking. Or shopping :P
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do see your point, theres more to it than just working out, like you said getting ready then unready.
    If you can stay in the grove at home and exercise there I think its a good Idea for you.
    I use to work out a bit at home and it was a little bit at that, then someone told me that I need to get in the grove, get the earbuds in and have some fun with it.
    So Its what ever work I guess. I like the gym it keeps me motivated.