Help With Toning Up

Options
So here's the dealio guys and gals, I've lost 80 pounds! Woot woot!

However, I now need to put my focus on toning up! I am SUCH a beginner at this so any advice is helpful!

I have a gym membership--cardio is no problem (I've began interval training on the treadmill) and Zumba but I need help with the basics of building muscle! I have machines at my disposal and there is a weight room however I'd prefer to not lift weights.

Help me pleeaasseeeeee?!? :)

Replies

• inktotree
    inktotree Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Allow me to also say, I've began freaking out that maybe what I'm left with may actually be loose skin after losing all the weight and not just extra fat that needs to go away so I'm determined to try anything to see what happens. I went from 250 to 170 currently and I'm 24 years old. Tell me there's hope!
  • Fit_Lean_Priya
    Fit_Lean_Priya Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    if weights freak you out try BodyWeight Exercises, - Lunges, Squats, Pushups and see the magic
    very soon weights will become your best friends
  • Fit_Lean_Priya
    Fit_Lean_Priya Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i was scared to try weights too, and my PT made me pick those dumbbells and here i am sharing my wonderful experiences with them
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    congrats on the good work so far. a lot of people do lose a lot of weight in the tried but true fashion of eating less and doing lots of cardio, including myself. but after some time, we realize that we're not getting the chiseled body we thought we would.

you know that you need to do strength training. machines are good, and have their uses, but you'll get the best results from lifting that iron. i recommend picking up the book "new rules of lifting for women." it is a tremendous read and will guide you. any particular reason why you wouldn't want to lift weights?

in the mean time, check this out. i know it helped me out at first. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
  • inktotree
    Options
    I guess the main reason I don't want to is because the weight room is usually crowded with men and I feel self-conscious! =/ I am a weenie!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    (Snip)
    however I'd prefer to not lift weights.

Please rethink this. Lifting weights has done amazing things for my body.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I guess the main reason I don't want to is because the weight room is usually crowded with men and I feel self-conscious! =/ I am a weenie!

well... get over it. most people at the gym are more concerned with their own work out to really pay you any mind. if you worry about looking foolish, don't sweat it, so did i. thats why i started going to the gym at 6am when it opened. i figured i'd be the only one there, and i was kinda.
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    OMG!! Your story is my story.....a few years down the road of course!!! :happy: I am 5'4" was 198 now 131 and have lost all of it with Treadmill and Zumba!!! NOW I want to do something about the flab and like you I think it's going to be just skin. Everything I keep ready on MFP seems to suggest that if I/We start lifting it will tone. GOD I HOPE SO!!! :drinker:
  • inktotree
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback everyone! :)
  • inktotree
    Options
    Capt that website is extremely informative! Thank you again!