Exercise with MS

Options
Maybe I haven't been clear with my exercise ability. I'm 25 years old, and I've never been a sports and workout person. I did do a few things in spurts but never for the long haul. This year I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. The main things that have been bothering me ever since I can remember is that I'm tired all the time, which is one of the common problems with MS. Honestly, the only thing I'm able to do is walk, and maybe some bicep curls. I find walking to be the best exercise for me. It takes longer for calories to burn I've come to find out, but I enjoy the walks. I'm 5 foot 11, and currently weigh 260 pounds. I tried to do ONE push-up, and ended up pulling a muscle in my shoulder that hurts a lot. My main goal is to be 190 pounds or lower. I want to lose weight first, and then tone if I'm able. Losing weight is my top priority above everything else. Does anyone else have MS, and what do you do to exercise? What are some of your symptoms?

Replies

• Jill_with_a_G
    Jill_with_a_G Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Skywalker, first, good for still wanting to exercise. I don't have MS but I have an "unrelated-cousin" that does. (Close enough to be family) She complains about the same thing. Wants to work out but doesn't have the energy to do so, or she overheats and that causes her MS to act up. Do you have access to a pool? The water will help support you while doing some leg lifts, walking around and around the shallow end, arm movements, actually swimming if you have the energy, etc. You can get resistance paddles for your hands as your core and arms get stronger. You also won't overheat because you are in a cooled environment.

I'm not a doctor and always check with your first. This is just what I have seen from personal experience.

:)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I have no personal experience but a friends husband has it, but he's still able to run, so he's been running.
    I'm glad you can keep up with walking. Do that, and track those calories. Eat as much fresh fruits and vegetables as you can and limit the processed stuff. Track those calories. I bet you can make your goals.

Can you do anything like tai chi? focus more on stretching.

I like the pool idea for you too.

good luck on your journey
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You're doing what you can, and that's fantastic! Keep up the walking and give extra focus to your nutrition - looks like you're already doing awesome with 12 lbs down!

Also, I know you mentioned that you're not a big sports guy, but the goalie for my state's hockey team was diagnosed with MS earlier this year and his story as an athlete with MS might interest you: http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/181297631.html
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi there Skywalker - I'm not a doctor but I work with people who have MS (I'm a cognitive psychologist) in an employment setting. Some of the things that might help out:
    Have you heard of "cooling attire"? a lot of folks with MS are heat intolerant, and cooling vests and neckties are really effective at managing this.
    There has been very good set of results from working with a physiotherapist to have a full assessment, then look at designing a gym program around this - strength based training can be very beneficial, building up from a very basic level - this can also help compensate if you have any physical neuromuscular fatigue symptoms
    Do you know what type of MS you have? Primary progressive, or relapsing remitting? Have you tried any of the immunotherapy treatments, because they can (in some cases) improve stamina and fatigue.

Happy to chat further by message if you feel that would be more appropriate.

Cheers (and good luck)
    L
  • pnphouck
    Options
    I have had Ataxia for the last 11 years.. it acts like MS, but still no diagnoses. I have no balance etc. I have found I can do the arm exercises and squats, walking using a treadmill, cause I can hold on to it. Walking with no help..not so much... I use a cane when I go to the grocery store, then I use the cart is my walker. I do best with a walker in crowded areas. Oh and that heat intolerant..put my name on the list. I would love more of your input.. I just started this program yesterday... lost a pound...but figured probably water weight.
  • pnphouck
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed with MS, but it acts like MS and talks like MS, but no marks on the brain the last time they did an MRI which was 4 years ago. Have been diagnosed as Ataxia...no balance...for 11 years. But I am like you. I can walk on the treadmill, not with out a walker or shopping cart. Can not walk with no assistance. Would love to do water exercises...if it was at home... would just fall in. But at a public pool, need assistance to even get to the pool. And my husband works. I have found I can do most of the arm, and even some of the squats. No push ups or floor things...anything that touches the ground.. I try.. and I just put a line through it.. Nope can't do that one. But I can sure feel the ones that are working...squats...I can still do those. I guess just saying try each one like I am...if you can OK add it.. if you can't cross it off and do the next one. I have been at this one day. So that is what I am doing. Not sure this will help you. But..just go with what your body tells you, you can do.
  • 86myHeadache
    86myHeadache Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Looking for inspiration, look to Josh Harding, Minnesota Wilds goalie who was diagnosed with MS about 1.5yrs ago. I am unsure of todays stats, but upto last week he was leading the NHL in goals against average. His symptoms were/are severe but he is having his career year. Unbelievable!
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Living a life where you appear "normal" on the outside while suffering so much can take it's toll. I have Rheumatoid Disease ~ destroys your connective tissues and organs. My mother has MS and Rheumatoid Disease. I lived 5 years after dx with extreme fatigue, constant pain, and depression. For me, changing my diet has had the greatest impact on pain levels and fatigue. Once that eased up, my ability to exercise increased. Swimming is my favorite exercise...it's easy on my damaged joints. I usually swim 45 minutes 4 x's a week, walk 1 hour 3 x's a week, and just started weight training 3 x's a week.

I second Litoria's suggestion of accessing the help of a physiotherapist. I think that is your best bet to find a sustainable program to work for you.

Wishing you well on your journey to a healthier you!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have 2 autoimmune disorders, one in my spinal cord that is similar to MS. What has helped with my pain levels the most is cutting back on processed sugars and grains. They can be very inflammatory for those with AI disorders.
    Check out the Paleo/Primal plan. You don't have to follow it 100%, but try it for a few weeks and see if your pain levels and fatigue improves.
    It has been tremendously successful for many with MS and other AI disorders.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My best friend was diagnosed with MS two years ago - main symptoms were severe fatigue, anemia, double-vision. She had been working with a personal trainer prior to her diagnosis and her doc told her to continue. The trainer's classes are bootcamp style, and while she can't always do everything, the trainer modifies all exercises for her. Not only did she lose 30 pounds and 4", her recent tests show she's in remission and she was able to cut out most of her meds.

NOTE: Exercise can help, but it is not a cure and results will be different for everyone. But don't let MS be an excuse for not getting fit. You can still push your body. Some days will be better than others, but don't give up.

BTW: Another friend was diagnosed with MS over 10 years ago. He swears by deep meditation 4x daily (every 6 hours, including middle of the night). He went from heavily medicated and in a wheelchair to being able to go back to performing as an "able bodied" singer and dancer within 18 mos. He takes no meds. To me this is a bit on the metaphysical side of things, but it does speak to the ability of the mind to heal the body. So you may want to look into some Qi Gong type classes which also teach body/mind/spirit connection.

Good luck on your journey!
  • DaybirdE
    DaybirdE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Aquafit is my best friend! I have fatigue, some neuralgia, wonky balance, and I have a problem where I tend to blackout if I sustain a high heart rate (in the High Performance Zone). I find aquafit lets me do more, push harder, and with no pain, and no side effects. I feel absolutely great afterwards, and my lack of balance and coordination doesn't exist in the pool!

I do AquaZumba, and two different deep aquafit classes. I also occasionally go to the gym and just take it slow-light resistance, and slow cardio. I definitely get a better workout in the pool though.

I also really like Qi Gong and Tai Chi.

Just remember, anything is better than nothing, and listen to your body!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Don, my friend in his 50s with MS still bikes. He has done the MS bike ride several times 150k over a weekend.
    Biking , walking and swimming all sound good for you.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My Mom has something very similar to MS - she does water aerobics.