Who is familiar or uses IIFYM? Is this right?

Options
I have been quickly searching the forums (here and at IIFYM) but not finding my answer.

I am trying to learn how to better adjust my macros. What I've been doing hasn't given me much success. On suggestion and learning about TDEE I visited IIFYM site, love the idea and I was hoping it would help....

But the Macro's it spits out at me seems a little off...

Step 1: Female, 35, 5 ft 3.5", 223lbs, exercise 3 times a week, -20%, I don't know my body fat percentage
Step 2: I choose fat loss at -20%
Step 3: Selected the "IIFYM Recommended" plan

Step 4: The carbs are SO LOW! Is this correct?

Daily Calorie total - 1846
Carbs 37.8
Protein 223
Fat 89.2
Fibre 45-56

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    no, that is actually not correct unless you plan on a low/no carb diet (which is based on personal preference only and not necessary). that calculator for some reason defaults to a ketogenic carb intake. to get a more reasonable split you can either change your option on the site or just take your calorie total and plug it into MFP. you can then change your percentages from the "goals" tab on MFP. I am on a 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein split which is very manageable.

here is more info on how to set your macro goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I have been quickly searching the forums (here and at IIFYM) but not finding my answer.

I am trying to learn how to better adjust my macros. What I've been doing hasn't given me much success. On suggestion and learning about TDEE I visited IIFYM site, love the idea and I was hoping it would help....

But the Macro's it spits out at me seems a little off...

Step 1: Female, 35, 5 ft 3.5", 223lbs, exercise 3 times a week, -20%, I don't know my body fat percentage
    Step 2: I choose fat loss at -20%
    Step 3: Selected the "IIFYM Recommended" plan

Step 4: The carbs are SO LOW! Is this correct?

Daily Calorie total - 1846
    Carbs 37.8
    Protein 223
    Fat 89.2
    Fibre 45-56

Your protein goal is waaaaaay too high and your fat goal is a tad high.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I do 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat... works like a charm!!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    That doesn't look right if you used the IIFYM calculator. When I did mine my carbs and protien were much closer to each other. Was something like 40:30:30 or 35:35:30 Carbs:Protein:Fat
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I also did this for a friend, Her stats are 240 at 5'2 and it was the exact same thing. Very high protein & really low carbs. She ended up using the zone numbers
  • Raw_Bean
    Raw_Bean Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think the calculator must be broken at the moment. I typed in what I think my last body fat % number was and it spit out a more reasonable number.

The post from Sara on Setting your Calorie and Macros was super helpful. This is what prompted me to enter a body fat % just to double check.

I'm just going to go with your suggestions on percentages for macros.

Thanks for responding! :drinker: