Jacket Potatoes-Carbs!?!

Options
May be a silly question but has anyone found that jacket potatoes have put them weight on and do they count as carbs??

Anyone tried a carb free diet and would love to know if you got results from it, currently with my 10 week old just managing to have 2 slices toast in morning ( carbs!) then no time to eat through day just surviving on cups of coffee and having jacket potato EVERY night for dinner with either tuna and salad or coleslaw!

I'm knew to this and today is my 'Day One' have put on over 63 pounds so a lot to lose, any friend adds, feedback
On 'carb free ' eating or any advice would be great!!

Good luck everyone!!!!!

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If the potato isn't a carb, what would it be?

Good luck with "carb free". Unsustainable. I would look into using a simple calorie deficit approach.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    May be a silly question but has anyone found that jacket potatoes have put them weight on and do they count as carbs??

Anyone tried a carb free diet and would love to know if you got results from it, currently with my 10 week old just managing to have 2 slices toast in morning ( carbs!) then no time to eat through day just surviving on cups of coffee and having jacket potato EVERY night for dinner with either tuna and salad or coleslaw!

I'm knew to this and today is my 'Day One' have put on over 63 pounds so a lot to lose, any friend adds, feedback
    On 'carb free ' eating or any advice would be great!!

Good luck everyone!!!!!

90% of the calories in a potato are from carbs.

Which is fine.

"Carb-free" is literally impossible btw. Pretty much every food you can eat has some quantity of carbs. There's no reason or benefit to minimizing carb intake.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    If the potato isn't a carb, what would it be?

24c5lpi.gif

You know, I love it when you get all philosophical on me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes, potatoes are carbs. But that's not a bad thing. It sounds like you need a diet that includes carbs since you want toast and potatoes. I don't believe you have to eliminate carbs to be successful; I haven't eliminated any foods except the ones that aren't worth the calories to me.

Log accurately, weigh your food including potatoes, hit your calorie goal.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2 - 92% of the calories in a baked potato are from carbohydrate.

Reduced carb eating - no point in "carb free" - means getting a sensible amount of protein and lots of oils & fats. Bacon and egg for breakfast rather than toast. Meat and two veg for evening meal. etc.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    butter.jpg
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Are you breast feeding?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are eating in a calorie deficit you can lose weight AND eat carbs....
    torturing yourself with just two pieces of toast a day, sounds unsustainable to me...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    smh.... Eat carbs, they are not evil.
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There is a group "Low Carber Daily Forum" on here that you may want to join... you'll get lots of specific info from there. If all you are eating every day is toast, a jacket potato and some tuna with a little salad or coleslaw, then your diet is very restricted and mainly carbs, unfortunately. The skin of the potato (providing you eat that as well) will give you back some fibre so your net carbs will be reduced, but if you really want to go low-carb, you'll have to ditch the potatoes and toast and eat things like eggs, cheese, oil, nuts, butter and full-fat natural yoghurt and cream to feel full instead.