Feet fall asleep

Options
I love the elliptical and lateral elliptical, but my feet fall asleep after about 5 minutes, making it difficult to continue for any length of time. I have tried loosening my shoes, which helps a little, but not enough. Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on how to prevent my feet from falling asleep?

Replies

• liv2full
    liv2full Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen to me too. Try cycling backwards for a few minutes every 10 mins or so. This works for me.
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This happens to most people that I've talked to that use the elliptical. I get around it by scrunching up my feet every few steps, or picking me foot up off the pedal every so often. Both of these help to restore blood flow. I've never heard WHY it happens
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Wow, glad you posted this. I thought I was the only one as I see everyone else plugging away.
  • gngracie
    gngracie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Scrunching my feet and reversing direction every so often seems to help a bit.
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue....I just keep wiggling my toes as I go. I'd love to know why it happens though...you'd have thought that blood flow would be improved by the movement, not hampered???
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    When you use the elliptical you don't "step" to push the blood like you do when you walk so it's basically the same as standing in one spot without moving your feet for long periods of time. Loosening the lacing on your shoes can help, lifting your feet occasionally as you go takes the pressure off, going backwards or stop and take a 10 second stomp break every time you feel it. The 10 second stomp won't have any negative effect on your workout and it's a lot easier to do your workout if your feet aren't asleep!
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was told that you're probably putting too much weight on your toes and not enough on your heel. when my feet start to fall asleep I shift my weight and it does help a little bit.