Eating before bed?

Options
I have heard both sides of the story so which one is the truth? Is it ok to eat before bed?

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in your calories for the day, it doesn't matter what time you eat. Although I tend to have bad dreams if I eat right before bed so I avoid it.
  • MaryEliz29
    Options
    Calories are calories no matter what time of day they are eaten. personally I prefer not to eat just before bed as I tend to wake up feeling sluggish if I do, but that's just personal preference
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    You should never eat before bed or you will die.............................that is my story.

total-confusion_o_183712.jpg
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I eat a snack before bed pretty much every night. Can't remember a time when I didn't. I've also lost about 20% of my original body weight this year. I certainly don't intend on breaking this diet-killing "bad habit" any time soon :tongue:

Provided (of course) that what you eat before bed fits within your calorie and macro goals. I know I'll be cranky if I have to go to bed with a rumbling stomach, so I always make sure my pre-bedtime snack fits in with everything else I've already eaten that day.
  • xxchrisannxx
    xxchrisannxx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't think it'll do anything bad. As long as it's light you should be fine :)
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I heard you sleep better if you are not trying to digest a recently eaten meal. I try not to eat late, but by the time I get in from work and make a meal it isn't always easy, unless I want to stay up till midnight :-(
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I eat IN bed. But then I find if I do I sweat like a pig to the point I wake up drenched at about 3am and have to shower & change clothing & sheets.

As for weight side of things.... it makes no difference.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I get off work in the middle of the night and eat dinner right before bed every night and have survived just fine. :smile:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I eat a snack before bed pretty much every night. Can't remember a time when I didn't. I've also lost about 20% of my original body weight this year. I certainly don't intend on breaking this diet-killing "bad habit" any time soon :tongue:

Provided (of course) that what you eat before bed fits within your calorie and macro goals. I know I'll be cranky if I have to go to bed with a rumbling stomach, so I always make sure my pre-bedtime snack fits in with everything else I've already eaten that day.

You stomach rumbling is not hunger :smile: it's digestion.
  • hellakitties
    hellakitties Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid it, but not because it's a worse time to eat than any other. When I crave food late at night, it's usually because of stress or negative emotions... Thus, binge-eating. I don't see any problems with it for people without this tendency, and I make exceptions for nights out with friends.
  • emmad2
    emmad2 Posts: 59
    Options
    I don't tend to eat after 7pm nowadays. But that's just my personal preference as i get really bad indigestion during the night if I eat too late. Sometimes though life gets in the way (not being able to get the kids to sleep, fitting in a workout after work etc) so when that happens and i do need to eat late, I just eat something a little lighter :-)