When and what time do you start logging?

Options
I was curious. Usually when the clock hits 12am, given that I eat something after 12 (at night) (in the morning for people who consider 12 to be morning) I log it into the next day as opposed to the day which elapsed just minutes/hours ago.

I've heard that some people start logging upon waking up, but I'm still not so sure whether if I want to do that.

I'm a college student, who burns 2k calories a day from exercise and has to go through long nights (but receive copious amounts of sleep)

Thoughts ?
Also feel free to add me :)

Replies

• eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A day for me is from when I wake up to when I go to bed. So anything i eat/drink between that gets logged for that day, even if I should happen to eat anything past midnight.
  • emmad2
    emmad2 Posts: 59
    Options
    I don't view 11:59pm on monday and 12:01am on tuesday as different days. i don't tend to eat after 7pm anyway but if i was to have a just after midnight snack i would log it in the previous day's diary as opposed to the following day, so i start logging when i wake up after a good nights' sleep. Personally i would feel a bit crappy if i started the day with fewer calories because of something i ate the night before and it wouldn't put me in the right mindset for the day. I would much prefer to incorporate those late night night calories into the previous day's diary and if it took me over my calories for the previous day then so be it. But at least then i could draw a line under it and start the next day afresh - hope that makes sense :-) x

**Edit: - this is just the way that I do things personally but i totally appreciate that it would be very different for someone who works night shifts
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I log each day exactly what I eat for that 24 hour period. I work overnights so for example, I opened a 20 oz soda at 9pm. I drank about half of it before 12am so I put half on yesterdays and half on todays. I don't usually drink soda so I don't often have this problem. I usually drink water at work. I split the water this way tooI usually bring a 34oz container. So I log 16 on one day and 16 on the next.

If I do eat anything after midnight before my shift ends at 7am, i log it as a morning snack. Then when i get home i log breakfast if I bother to eat or not before sleeping. Sometimes I just go to bed and eat when I wake up. Those days I don't even log breakfast just lunch and dinner.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Choose whatever "day" suits you best - as long as you log your food somewhere, your body doesnt treat it any differently.

I usually check things like emails and Facebook over breakfast. At that stage, I'll plug in the foods that I plan having for the rest of the day - there may be gaps. I then do a catch up at dinner time, deleting things I didnt have, and adding in the rest.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I start logging when I wake up which is usually 4am. I tend to have bfast most times around 6am. Sometimes I do log foods in advance that I've prepared ( green smoothies for bfast, lunch I've carried to work). I input snacks when I actually eat them and usually tend to review my day and update accordingly before I go to sleep
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I start logging from when I get up...I usually log in what I plan to eat for the rest of day at this time then adjust if necessary before I go to bed.

It doesn't really matter if you log from midnight to midnight or 8am to 8am or whatever, you just have to be consistent.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter.
    You don't even have to be consistent and can log yesterday today. You should log all of it consistently but the day, time or meal isn't a useful parameter.
    You can log 7 days into one if you want.
    As long as you are, on the average, in a deficit you will lose weight.
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I always have a "general" idea of what I will be eating so I log the night before or the day of. I find the sooner I do it the easier it is to adjust my ratios to hit my targets. I would never eat all day long and then enter before dinner because I have not left myself many options and could esily already be over my calories.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I log my meals as I'm eating breakfast (I plan a week in advance so its easy) and log my snacks when I'm thinking of eating one.
  • grammagie
    grammagie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I get quite busy during the day, so sometimes, I will plan my menu up when I get up at six am. I then add or edit at the end of the day, before I go to bed. If I know for certain, I'm doing a class at the gym I will also log that before I actually do it..when I'm up first thing in the am.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    A day for me is from when I wake up to when I go to bed. So anything i eat/drink between that gets logged for that day, even if I should happen to eat anything past midnight.

Snap!!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    If your staying up passed 12am consistently, mark it as the previous day. It just means your day is slightly shifted compared to others.

If you sleep and wake up at 12am and continue to stay up for the rest of the day then mark it as the next day.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

This is how I do it as well.

I think it would be depressing and defeating to me if I ate or drank much after midnight and logged it under a new day, because then when I awoke instead of a fresh slate I'd have all of these calories to contend with.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    A day before
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    I log when I eat. If it's after midnight it end up on the 'next' day.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Instead of meal names on my diary, I have meal time. 6:00am-10:00am, 10:00am-2:00pm, etc. all the way to 10 pm. I log on my phone as I eat and put recipes in before I make them so I can see calorie counts. It's rare for me to eat anything after 10 but if I do I just log it in the 8:00-10:00 pm category for that day.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    My log time slots start at 12 am. I log everything in the day that I ate it.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I go by the clock, midnight to midnight. I work on flex time, so my schedule shifts. Sticking to the clock lets everything even out.
    That said, if I start eating something at 11:59 p.m. and eating it takes me until 12:01 a.m., I go by the time I began eating. :-)
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.

I typically do from the time I wake up until the time I wake up the next day. If there's a late night snack and I've already logged my food for the day (I typically pre-log to plan accordingly for the day) and eaten all my calories, I'll just add it on the next day. It rarely happens with me, though.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    I usually count anything past 12 as the next day. I don't usually eat anything that late at night though.