The New Rules of Lifting for Women - anyone read it?

Options
I was wondering if anyone has read this book, and if so, what your thoughts? Good advice? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about weight lifting, and the correct way of going about it.

Any help or tips welcomed!

Thanks

Replies

• MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've read it and am doing it. I have completed the first 2 stages and got a friend to start with me so I'm back at the beginning. Its great! I saw lots of inches go when I was following the plan. I didn't follow the nutritional guide though, I do In Place of a Road Map instead. Its a great book and the workouts are effective!

There is a group on here for it, which is VERY helpful, lots of results pictures and friendly lifting women who give great advice :)

My biggest tip is stay committed. I let myself get side tracked and it only hurt my progress. Also, don't expect to lose weight necessarily. You'll lose more inches than fat so be sure to track your measurements or you may get discouraged. :) Feel free to add me!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Great book but I like the original NROL (men's version) better.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I've read half of the book up until the exercising starts...now I have to get brave to go in "that other area" of the gym and lift free weights alone.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah, excellent book and accessible. The workout program at the end is over complicated, but the info in the book is solid.

Since you're a beginner, I would recommend a more simple, fundamental lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 (free online) or Starting Strength (book). You would do one program for a few months until you stall, then move on to an intermediate program like Wendler's 5/3/1.

Anyways, I suggest that book to just about every woman on these forums who are starting out. Incidentally, all the same info applies to men as well (we work the same), so "New Rules of Lifting" is a great book for men too.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Great book but I like the original NROL (men's version) better.

Yeah same here.

I second FrnkLft though. I strongly recommend you look into Starting Strength. The book is well worth it, great to get your started and it goes into much details about the form.

Stronglift is quite similar, plenty of information on the website and if you go on youtube and search Stronglift you will have many good videos for form as well.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I found it extremely useful and had great success.
    I left that model and got involved in CrossFit instead, but I see a lot of the same exercises and theories applied in CF as in NROL.
    Give it a read, great book...and GO LIFT!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I read it and learned a great deal. I highly recommend reading it, minus the parts about the diet and the actual routine, which is way too complicated, imo. After you read NROFL, check out StrongLifts for a newbie routine that's easy.
  • dpwdash
    dpwdash Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just finished this book, and I am starting the program next week. I am very excited and looking for tips also. I have been to the group site and found loads of info there too. Goodluck with your journey.
  • Tanteee
    Tanteee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've read half of the book up until the exercising starts...now I have to get brave to go in "that other area" of the gym and lift free weights alone.

I intend to buy this book as I have heard so many good things about it...but thats my greatest fear too entering "that other area" of the gym.

Its even worse at my work gym the heavy weights room is completely seperate from the main gym, the door is always shut and there's a small pane of glass on the door to look in :( , I just imagine it being like one of those western movies when a stranger enters the bar...everybody stops what they are doing, and looks at you (me) in silence.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I did and started the training. By phase 4 I got bored with the repeating of exercises especially since there are some that I absolutely hate. I think it's a great resource and a great way for someone that doesn't have any lfiting experience to get started. As someone else said there is a group on here but I find that the people aren't consistant with posting so you can ask a question and it's forever before anyone else looks at it or responds.

For anyone that is afraid to move into the weight area don't be. No one is watching you wondering why YOU are there. Everyone is focused on what they are doing and don't care about you. Just do it, it's no big deal. Make sure that you get someone from the gym to show you proper form and use of the machines though. That is extremely important and could be the difference between injury and success.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good book. I liked stage 1. After that, it got too complicated and I switched to Strong Lifts 5x5. But the info on why women should lift is great.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I read it as well. It did have a lot of great information and information on lifting. I did the first phase and saw my strength improve greatly as well as inches lost and muscle definition. After phase one I started working out with a trainer so I never actually finished the program. As for venturing to "that area of the gym" definitely do it...once you do it a few times you'll become more and more comfortable and totally feel like a badass :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible to do heavy lifting at home.

Cosgrove has a program called 'Real Fast Fat Loss' I've done at home. I think it's less complex than some of the NROL routines.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/real_fast_fat_loss

But don't be afraid of that part of the gym. Once you know what you're doing you'll see that a lot of the guys in there actually don't. That can give you more confidence. It's like anything, after 10 times of doing it you'll feel silly for initially being intimidated.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I loved it. Very informative, which was great as I like to know science type stuff behind what our bodies go through. I'm not following the program, I've adapted it and sort of mixed it with a strong lifts program. Only a few weeks in as I was held back with illness. Definitely worth a read if you're considering lifting!
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Read it and have started the program, but I'm off for 3 weeks due to a bad muscle strain :(
    Can't wait to get back to it!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I just started reading it a couple of days ago. I'm not that far into it yet. The author does have a sense of humor, which I like.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have read it as I purchased it as a gift for my wife. I'm not wild about the actual workout (but my wife seems to like it) but the information in the book is good, especially if you're a female who is not only new to the world of barbells and plates, but also afraid of them...this book helps put to rest a lot of those fears and misconceptions about free weight, barbell training.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I have read it as I purchased it as a gift for my wife. I'm not wild about the actual workout (but my wife seems to like it) but the information in the book is good, especially if you're a female who is not only new to the world of barbells and plates, but also afraid of them...this book helps put to rest a lot of those fears and misconceptions about free weight, barbell training.

This is my experience as well. Plus the diet advice is kinda crap.

Benefit (addresses fear of gaining muscle) outweighs the drawbacks.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't follow the program, it definitely gives some great background information on lifting weight. I would encourage you to read it. I am following the routine and have seen a lot of success with it:)
  • violetrix
    violetrix Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used this book when I was just starting to lift, it's a great introductory book but I think the workouts are too complicated and have you running all over the gym.
    I got up to stage 4 and then switched over to Stronglifts 5x5 which is a much easier no-fuss program. The advice and information in NROLFW is still good though