any tips?

Options
Hi im currently eating between 1200-1400 cals per day.
Im finding that im extremely hungry inbetween main meals. Even small snacks dont seem to keep hunger at bay.
Ive found only egg whites to be filling but i dont want them everyday! What snack do you find filling?

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    What are you stats because 1200 calories could be too low for you
    What did you enter in for MFP to calculate your goals?

As for snacks, non-fat greek yogurt.
    If you get the plain, it's between 80 to 100 calories and you can flavor it with a splenda packet & some cinnamon
    Celery sticks or apple slices dipped in PB2 (look on amazon for it)
    Drinking tea or other hot beverages can help stave off hunger, Swiss Miss makes a diet hot cocoa mix. It's 25 cals.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian? I just glanced at your last couple of days and you are mainly eating veg and salad. Chicken or fish might be a good addtion to meals to help keep you full for longer if you are not. Lots of bread in there too, maybe you could swap the bread for couscous or quinoa or rice for lunch?

Maybe add a full egg to your breakfast?

Otherwise popcorn is a great low cal snack especially if you make it yourself in the microwave. Nuts are pretty good for you in smallish quantities. Perhaps try upping your calories a bit even. Even if you don't lose you are unlikely to gain if you eat 1600 calories a day for a week or a month as an experiment. I read an interesting thing on facebook the other day, the crux of it was that you should be eating as much as you can while still losing weight. If you up your calories and stall then you can always cut again and if you keep losing well there is a bonus!
  • nofearbebravelive
    Options
    If you are really hungry make a green salad (mostly lettuce) with Zesty Italian salad dressing (I like Wishbone the best but Kraft is ok) and eat 2-4 cups, the chewing helps knock out the hunger.

I also write my goal weight for the week on the palm of my hand in a sharpie so that every time I want to eat, I look at the number and then have to decide what I want more, to eat or reach my goal. Eventually you will be in maintenance mode and will get to eat to maintain. Hunger is temporary and I also try to remember that there are millions of people in the world who would give anything to have access to the food that we have access to, so my hunger is no where near the sacrifices people live with every day. I read a quote somewhere some time ago "Hunger is not an emergency"

Hang in there.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks okay so you must be truly hungry. Typically, if people eat high cal, high sugar or high carb foods they send their bodies on a hunger roller roaster from the highs and crashes. It doesn't look like your doing that. That mean to me, IMO, Your not eating enough.

I went to a nutritionist and she told me the average woman should have around 1500 calories to maintain their weight. Most of the time more. Under 1500 calorie diets are usually reserved for people with thyroid, medical or diabetic issues that inhibit them from losing and its usually adjusted later on. Right now mine is 1800 calories and I still lose weight.

How much are you exercising? Are you using MFP estimates or treadmill estimates? If so, get an Polar HRM. MFP and exercise machines usually over-estimate around 30%. If your first starting out, it might be closer that that number. I would imagine about 15%.

Its pretty simple actually. Have fruit, yogurt, lean deli meat( not a sandwich just the meat) and raw veggies available. If your truly hungry you'll eat them. If your not, and your obsessing about a cupcake, your probably not. Not to say a cupcake is not in order every once in a while but it shouldn't be an impulse food choice.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Try swapping when you eat so that you are eating meals more frequently. E.g. four meals a day: breakfast, late morning feed, mid-afternoon and then dinner. 2 or 3 meals a day with low calorie snacks doesn't work for some people, so try to spread it out more.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    Almonds, they suppress hunger pretty well and are the perfect snacks! If you're craving something on the meaty side, I always have canned tuna and mixed springs salad in my fridge. Open the can, add the salad, dump both in a bowl and enjoy a great snack.

It is also very easy to eat because the salad makes the tuna less dry.

Good luck.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    glanced at your diary, and it looks pretty good. the only thing I would personally change is not eating so much bread and find a diff way to get those calories. Bread is like eating empty calories to me, I'd be feeling really hungry too (unless it was like a sub roll and really dense). Maybe eat more meats or another protein source to fill you up and get more protein to help you feel full longer.
  • VEGGGA
    VEGGGA Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Maybe more fiber and protein, and a little less processed carbs? Honestly though, your diary looks fine minus the aforementioned bread.
    I has the same problem and started eating more frequently. Four protein packed snacks at work and a healthy dinner is what has been working for me.
  • VEGGGA
    VEGGGA Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always have canned tuna and mixed springs salad in my fridge. Open the can, add the salad, dump both in a bowl and enjoy a great snack.

It is also very easy to eat because the salad makes the tuna less dry.

Good luck.

I do this with salmon packets. LOVE THIS SNACK!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    As said before, more PROTEIN.
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree. I do eat way to much bread. Really going to have to work on that.
    No im not a veggie i just enjoy them.
    Yes im going to add more protein to my breakfast and see how i go

Thanks guys
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    ryvita type crisp breads are good for being filling and not too many calories as an alternative to bread