I'm having a stare down with Ben and Jerry ...

Options
2»

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    You didn't eat any did you? You will feel sssssooooooo quilty if you do. This work is way to hard to throw it away on one thing. Just remember....nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!

and depriving the things that you like will ONLY make crave more down the road (been there done that 2 years ago)... I like it better this time as I don't NOT eat anything - I eat anything I want ... I think I have had either apple or pumpkin pie every day this week :)

Skinny won't feel good at all if you can't sit down and enjoy ice cream (or oreos for that matter).
    This. ^ It is a wonderful thing to never feel guilty.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Have you been actually diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes?
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send the ice cream my way... I've had it just about every day for over three years, and managed to lose weight and get healthy.

There's no such thing as "bad food" -- just too much of it. If you feel that pushing everything that you used to enjoy aside will work for you, then most of us here will wish you luck. All we ask is that you don't put up a future forum post with the subject "ZOMG -- I JUST BINGED ON A PINT OF BEN & JERRY'S!!!!", OK?
  • daniesq
    daniesq Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My philosophy on weight loss is a little different. I refuse myself nothing. I'm not on a diet and I'm not punishing myself. Instead, I try to make better choices. Calorie counting helps a lot for me - I agree with the poster who likened your calorie budget to a bank account. That's a good analogy. However, I sometimes do overdraw my calorie account and I'm fine with it. I just don't spend everything I have the next day, or I exercise. (Using that same analogy, exercising is like a second job. Gives you a little more cash to spend.)

Now, personally speaking, in your exact situation, after I smacked my husband in the head for bringing that devil ice cream in my house, I'd hop my little hiney in my car and motor on over to my local TCBY for four to six ounces (at 25 calories an ounce, give or take) of my favorite frozen yogurt. (White chocolate mousse and Chocolate Almond Silk. Yum!) I top with a small amount - a tsp or two - of shredded coconut (30 or so calories) and I'm golden.

Life is really too short and uncertain to deny yourself, so don't if you can help it. Just my .02.

Danielle
  • CookieDoughYummy
    Options

Yep, you'd think that would be enough to put me off right? Just another case of 'Can't have, want it more.'
  • laura0770
    laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it would taste wonderful...But think about how good you will feel later having the self control to walk away from it! :drinker:
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be great if your boyfriend/wife/mom/dad/sister/brother/kids stopped bringing the bloody stuff home in the first place? lol.

From experience...the more you say you "Can't" have something, the more it will bother you when other people do. This isn't about anyone else, it's about YOU. Don't let other people have that kind of control over you. Life won't stop just because you are trying to lose a few pounds. People aren't bringing the stuff to your house in some attempt to sabotage you or to make you upset - more likely they just want ice cream ;) Take what other people are doing out of your equation. The only person you can control in your life is you ;)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Yep, you'd think that would be enough to put me off right? Just another case of 'Can't have, want it more.'

Lol - you're only human and ice cream is delicious.

A good strategy may simply be to give yourself permission to have controlled amounts - so instead of your BF buying a carton he buys those small containers instead in the future.
  • HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Jesus - I'd just have a bit.

Cannot resist a Peanut Butter Cup mmm.:love:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be great if your boyfriend/wife/mom/dad/sister/brother/kids stopped bringing the bloody stuff home in the first place? lol.

Something tempting will always be somewhere in your environment, especially as long as you live with other people who eat and buy food. May as well get used to the fact that it's your choice whether to eat it or not.

And I agree that if it's tormenting you, you probably are better off eating some, really enjoying it, and getting it out of your system. If you don't, you'll feel deprived and that's when binges happen. Odds are a few spoonfuls will be enough for you to realize the calories after that are probably not going to be worth it, if you're serious about your goals.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Wait, what is the PB B&J's?! Like peanut butter ice cream?! I've never seen that, only the PB&J!
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Grab a yogurt and put some chocolate chips and brown sugar in it. Tastes like cookie dough.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Okay imagine some disgusting bugs have crawled all over it--covered with ants. Now do you want it?

the mind is so strong. You can do this!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You didn't eat any did you? You will feel sssssooooooo quilty if you do. This work is way to hard to throw it away on one thing. Just remember....nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!

and depriving the things that you like will ONLY make crave more down the road (been there done that 2 years ago)... I like it better this time as I don't NOT eat anything - I eat anything I want ... I think I have had either apple or pumpkin pie every day this week :)

Skinny won't feel good at all if you can't sit down and enjoy ice cream (or oreos for that matter).

Why would you want to be "skinny" anyway? Oh well, each to their own. I'm going for "strong" myself.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend just came back with a Peanut Butter Ben and Jerry's and I WANT IT. Quick, somebody say something to stop me eating it!
    When faced with temptation, I find it helps to imagine that I've just given in and eaten it. How do I feel? Not very good.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    My boyfriend just came back with a Peanut Butter Ben and Jerry's and I WANT IT. Quick, somebody say something to stop me eating it!

Eat a little, then lift some weights and do squats or whatnot for an hour.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Definitely portion control. If the whole container has 1,000 calories, with four servings that's 250 calories per serving. That's pretty standard for killer-good ice cream.

Does it work in your calorie allowance for today?

If not, are you willing to go over your calorie allowance and tomorrow eat a bit less or exercise a bit more?

Remember- losing weight and maintaining weight is not about giving up the foods you love, it's about portion control. It's about changing your lifestyle and not giving up those foods you love.

P.S. Notice how I said "not giving up the foods you love" twice in that last paragraph? :bigsmile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Oh. Please disregard my dissertation on portion control and get the heck away from the freezer. :bigsmile: