Am I too heavy for running?

Options
2»

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    get something like Zombies run! or Couch to 5K They might help you ease into it :)
  • zensugi
    Options
    Personally, and having had plantar fasciitis in the past, I would not run if I were that heavy, as getting in to trouble again would create a big delay on my exercise goals. I would start with low impact exercise, for example walking and swimming (I love swimming these days) and once I've dropped more weight I would start running again.

Once you start running you should get decent running shoes (these days I've gone for minimalist shoes) and work on your running technique to avoid putting unreasonable strain on your feet.
  • mannybelarus
    Options
    I am a male 5'6 I weight 120 lb I am pretty tone,nice been running for about 2-1\2 years, I started with a weight of 250lb mind you I am asmatic at first it was hard but your body will get used to it. as you proggres with your traning .
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    For me shoes are everything!! Suffered from PF til it hurt to walk, much less run. With the right shoes, I'm completely healed. As so many have said, go to a running store that will watch your gait and find the right shoe for you. Start off slowly and keep on runnin! Best of luck in your journey.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Why would you think that you are too heavy? Running or even walking are great ways to slim down your thighs & hips, running just makes you lose it faster! lol I started running about at the weight you are at right now. Just keep going & wear your heart rate monitor for accuracy!! <3

Add me if you'd like! :)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely not too big to run!

See this article if you need some motivation to get started:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/sumo-wrestler-breaks-world-record-for-heaviest-man-to-complete-marathon-032011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm07iPOl4ko

I second the advice above about getting fitted for appropriate running shoes. Start out slowly and build up you mileage very gradually. Don't worry about speed at this point. Focus on time on your feet. Take walking breaks as needed. c25k is a good program

Good luck!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the issues you have, but I started running at 245 lbs with a bad back and I did it!!
    God it was hard, and my lungs hurt BAD, but I worked thru it.

I highly recommend great runners because I started in sketchers and got shin splints.

Good luck!
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Not at all OP :smile: I started running when I was 100kg (I am not much less now haha) and have completed the c25k program. Admittedly I don't do 5k as I only shuffle along at 6km/h (and I use the treadmill) but the point is that I just gave it a red hot go! Now am doing the c210k and hopefully can build some speed and some more stamina.

Go for gold :happy:
  • vicksg1973
    Options
    Thanks everyone - some very helpful and motivating posts. I've never heard of the Zombie Run app - like the sound of that a lot.

I've already got great shoes, with PF insoles, so no worries on that front. I'm going to give running a go, start slowly, listen to my body, and if I do well - I will have all you guys to thank!

x
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    No your not. I started at around 280 pounds just take it easy and walk run to start with
  • trimminit
    trimminit Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Glad you're going to give it a shot! You're definitely not too heavy. :) Start slow, but you'll be zooming along in no time!
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Glad you're giving it a go. My husband is 5'5" and 205lbs and can out run 5'5" 147lb me. We started doing c25k together when he was nearer 230lbs and he's been fine. In fact its me that has had PF and calf issues! We're now training for a half marathon and I'm off to try keeping up with him on an 11k run this morning. Just listen to your body and stop if you need to.
  • susiebev2013
    Options
    I started running when I was about 16stone...I say running, it was more of a slow jog, but I kept on going and the results were great..... one thing you could try is aqua jogging - you can buy the jogging belts on line and they keep you upright in the water and you just run like normal. it is really good cos its the same as jogging but without the impact. Good luck :)