Feeling Aching & Joint Pain when Lifting Heavy!!

Options
Hello Everyone,

Through out my weght lost journey, I've always lift heavy 3-5 times a week for 3 years. I've lost 35 lbs & toned up. Now That I'm 6lbs from my goal. I still lift heavy but not like before, but everytime I do deadlifts, squats or other compound movement exercises, My knees, back, elbows, neck are feeling it. I have been lifting heavy for a very long time and also I would alternated days when I did light weight more volume. My form is on check, I've always made sure of that before I even started lifting weights. It took me 6 months to make sure my form was good. So now my question is how do I over come this, I've been going lighter& a lot of reps but, I've lost my strenght. I would love to incorporate heavy days, but when I attempt to do so I get achy.

I also was consuming 100g of carbs a day for the last 5 weeks and before that I was on Keto for 7 weeks, Keto was below 30g of carbs a day, Before the low carbs I was fine, do you think this can be the cause of my weakness and my joint pain?

So I've changed my carbs to 180g now, hoping that helps.

Thanks

Replies

• May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think it's somewhat par for the course. I don't know many heavy lifters that don't have some nagging aches/pains occassionally. My knees get a little weird the day after leg days and I'm having some left elbow issues at the moment. It used to be my shoulder, but I've been really careful and that's since resolved. I also had some wrist issues for awhile, but that was due to bad curling form.

My theroy is that, for me, it's mainly due to muscle imbalances. Once I get the supporting muscles & tendons strengthened up, things always get better.

I'm interested to hear what others say.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Like any other repetitive movement, lifting weights for a period of time will cause aches and pains. Haven't met a lifter yet who doesn't suffer from some malady of lifting. For me, it's golfer's and tennis elbow in both arms, as well a scar tissue in my left hammy (making lunges on that side more painful) and a tender left shoulder from flat bench pressing.
    Chalk some of it up to age and possible tendinitis too.
    Comes with the territory and you modify till you're ready to do it again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by "lifting heavy" - what rep range have you generally been using.

Excessive load with poor form is usually the cause but you seem to have done everything right on these points. Your routine does sounds like it lacks any real periodisation and planned recovery though.

Try taking a couple of weeks complete rest and eating a bit more. Then ease back into it.

If that doesn't work I would go and see a sports physiotherapist because that is no longer a "niggle".
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Get a glucosamine & chondroitin supplement. It's one of the few supplements that I've taken that I can REALLY feel the difference when I forget to take it.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    How is your protein? I find that I get achy if I don't get in enough.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Meh... it happens to a lot of people who lift. If over these past few years you have not taken a break from heavy lifting then maybe a few weeks off will do you some good. Still train but not as heavy, go lighter and increase the reps, or just take a total break from the weight all together. Still train and do some form of exercise like cycling, walking, stairs, ect. Just my $0.02 and what I do personally.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by "lifting heavy" - what rep range have you generally been using.

Excessive load with poor form is usually the cause but you seem to have done everything right on these points. Your routine does sounds like it lacks any real periodisation and planned recovery though.

Try taking a couple of weeks complete rest and eating a bit more. Then ease back into it.

If that doesn't work I would go and see a sports physiotherapist because that is no longer a "niggle".

I use rep range 6-10 (10 on a good day), I've been going 2-3x's a week , I have taken a week off, Maybe I should try to rest up a little more & take up on other forms of training for awhile.

thanks
  • JoJo__Fit
    Options
    How is your protein? I find that I get achy if I don't get in enough.

130g to 150g , about 1-1.5g for my body weight.
    I've consistent with my protein intake for awhile now.

Thanks
  • JoJo__Fit
    Options
    Get a glucosamine & chondroitin supplement. It's one of the few supplements that I've taken that I can REALLY feel the difference when I forget to take it.

I am definitely going to order some,

Thanks
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you might need more food and more rest.

at a calorie deficit- cutting essentially takes a toll on your body- you can't do it indefinitely. Migth be time to hang up the cutting/weight loss towel and switch to maintenance and more rest- more sleep then go to a bulk.