Setting short term goals

Options
I've started and stopped MFP a number of times and I've never been able to stick with it. Well, here I am again, and I really want to stick with it this time.

I want to set some short term goals but I'm not sure what's realistic.
I'm female, 5'5", 220lbs, 28 years old. I'm not sure what my goal weight is. I've been overweight my whole adult life. In my early 20s I was 140-150 and I felt ok with how I looked, but wasn't entirely happy with it. I want to get back to that weight at least.

Losing 70 or 80 lbs seems like a pretty daunting task, so I'm trying to break it up into smaller goals and i'm hoping someone can help me with that.

What's a reasonable weight loss goal for a month?

Replies

• tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Instead of setting "time" goals, set milestones and rewards.
    For example:
    When I hit 65 lb lost, I went out for pizza with friends. (Although some would argue this is not a good reward)
    When I hit 75 lb lost, I splurged on crafting supplies.
    When I hit 85 lb lost, I bought some awesome skinny jeans and boots to go with them.

BTW, I am 5'5" and my goal is 130, 1.2 lb to go. Starting weight 219.
    However, I think I will have to lift weights to get the shape I want, which is more important to me than the number on the scale.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I just set my goals to be moving more and eating less, to be active and under or right at my calorie allowance for the day.

I saw one gentleman that had lost like 194 pounds. He said his goal each week was to lose 1% of his body weight.

Find something that works for you and stick with it. No 2 people are going to be the same, or be able to stick to the same goals. If you really want to lose the weight and be healthier, every choice you make will reflect that desire. Is it hard? Absolutely. But to be something different you have to do something different. There are days I tell myself "suck it up sunshine" and make myself be active or eat right. I have to remind myself on a daily basis I am of greater value to God and to myself, and I was made for more, than indulging in everything that tempts me day in and day out.

Stay determined. Set your mind to it. Motivation comes and goes, but if you have determination and make yourself do it, you will see results. Everyone falls down sometimes. There have been weeks that I didn't log, or when I did I was way over my limit. But I kept trucking. One little slip up here or there isn't going to ruin your progress, so don't let it ruin your determination. :flowerforyou:
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Short term goal for yourself would be to hit 200lb in 3 months. Now with eating in a calorie deficit and doing some cardio be it walking 1 hour a day or weights you should see that 20lb drop off within 6-8 weeks. Once you hit that target aim for another 20lb only this time set it within 4 months and again you should hit this within 8-12 weeks.

Something like that will allow you to make mistakes and change the way you look at food so you will over time make better informed choices.

Adding in daily walks will get you moving and over time it becomes easier and the walks get longer. It's a lifestyle change but don't throw yourself in at the deep end and expect to get it done, You will make mistakes, you might even binge now and again the point is you can keep going and learning over time.