Need help to lose weight !

Options
I am a RN so I know all about why I need to lose weight and I was once 130 but for the past 7 years my weight has slowly trickled up and this must stop I am getting married in July and would like to lose between 50-70lbs by then so I am nervous but want some honest ideas that do not require me starving my self I have asthma that since gaining the extra weight has put a toll on me working out extra hard so I need a non-pharmaceutical way to lose the weight without overstressing and on my off days I work 4 days a week. Plus if anyone lives in the hobby or Pasadena area and want to exercise with me I am open to that also.

Replies

• fields4fitness
    fields4fitness Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get fit too and hope to lose 20 pounds. But honestly, in the past I've made measuring a priority over looking at the scale. Some times inches come off faster than you hope the pounds would. I have been cooking frozen chicken breast tenders on the George Forman with mrs.dash seasoning and steamer veggies every night and eggs in the morning. I eat 5 times per day and find that I have plenty of energy. I do 45 mins of cardio with insanity every night and doing 12 hour shifts some times I don't feel like working out but I donit any way and I do it 6 days a week. After only 10 days I feel great!
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you want to be able to eat a fair amount of food while still losing weight, that means you will have to create a deficit with exercise. I think that's the better way to do it.

Find an exercise you enjoy. Do it often. Track your intake and your output on MFP. Stay in a deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am a RN so I know all about why I need to lose weight and I was once 130 but for the past 7 years my weight has slowly trickled up and this must stop I am getting married in July and would like to lose between 50-70lbs by then so I am nervous but want some honest ideas that do not require me starving my self I have asthma that since gaining the extra weight has put a toll on me working out extra hard so I need a non-pharmaceutical way to lose the weight without overstressing and on my off days I work 4 days a week. Plus if anyone lives in the hobby or Pasadena area and want to exercise with me I am open to that also.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

July is about 8 months away, so I think your goal to lose weight is reasonable. Have you set your goals up in MFP or figured out your TDEE and subtracted 20% from it to see what you would eat each ay to lose weight?
  • marriedm0m0f3
    Options
    I started at 189 & I'm now 135.It took me a year to lose it but this was after I had 3 kids back to back. All I did was 20 to 40 min of Zumba & I also did the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It's pretty tough at 1st but if you stick to it, it does work. The android market has apps like Daily Cardio & Daily Ab Workout that I use every single day also.Hope this helps
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BMR and TDEE and a reasonable weight loss (1 pound per week)

You can use this to figure your calories http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Then also set up MFP for the goal you want (1) pound per week. It will give you the number of calories you should eat and then eat that. The way to lose weigh is to create a calorie deficit. It doesn't have to come from exercise, in fact you can lose weight w/o exercise, however it is easier to sustain if you can exercise (at least some). If you use the MFP method you would eat back some exercise calories (somewhere around 75%) this way you NET close to the calorie goal they give you.

You don't have to starve or take any pills. There is no magic bullet or secret to weight loss. It is easy and hard at the same time because you have to commit to doing something about it and it takes time! Measure and weigh your food for accuracy sake.

I would say a more reasonable goal for 8 months would be approximately 40 pounds. But that is better than no pounds right?

Congrats on the pending wedding and taking your first step by signing up here! Good Luck!

Edited to add: I have lost 29 pounds since April.. and look at the ticker... weight loss is also not always linear!