Holidays

Options
Hi Everyone. I posted this on my wall but I wanted to ask the other people of mfp about your plans for the holidays. Is anyone using it as a cheat day and if you are, how bad are you going to let your self be. Is everyone planning on tracking even if you indulge? For those people who plan on staying on track, how are you planning to resist the great food or more importantly, the pressure of your family. My family lays out quite the feast and they put the pressure on to eat until you pop. I just wanted to get a feel for everyone else's plans any maybe I can get some ideas on my approach to the dreaded feast. Thanks ya'll!

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Running a 5K Thanksgiving morning so I am not going to worry about what I eat--just in moderation. I do not drink alcohol or eat dessert that day. That is the best I can do.
  • StephElizabeth88
    StephElizabeth88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow that's awesome though. You will have plenty of calories to restore after that I bet. Maybe I'll do some insanity that morning. I can say no to the dessert but the wiskey and eggnog will be a challenge.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    - don't treat the entire two month "season" as an excuse to just do whatevs....

- the actual holidays themselves are just two days out of many days...your fitness, nutrition, weight, etc are not predicated on a handful of occasions...you don't get fat because of a handful of days each year of over indulgence and you don't get unfit just because you miss a workout here and there. Your fitness, nutrition, weight, health, etc are predicated on what you're doing most of the time.

- you don't have to eat until you pop..and I've never felt pressure to do so. When I've done that in the past, it has been because that's what I decided to do. Learn how to say no thank you...or indulge...the choice is up to you...again, it's only a day. Personally, I will eat well, but I don't like being overly stuffed..never have really.

- Keep on track with your fitness during the holiday season and winter in general...it's easy to get lazy this time of year...worst thing you could do. If you rock your fitness all will be well. Also, I don't prescribe to doing some stupid unplanned workout for a holiday feast...I just go business as usual which means I'll have a lifting session Thanksgiving eve and the following Saturday and a 30 mile bike ride on Sunday...not because of the holiday, but because that's what's laid out on my 26 week plan

- if you continuously live in the minutia of singular days you will always have difficulty seeing the larger picture and truly making a "lifestyle change"
  • youcantfakeawesome
    Options
    I am cooking Thanksgiving, and using it as a free day. It is one of my favorite holidays. I am making sure that the only leftovers that stay at my house are turkey, and veggies everything else must go. I am also planning on a group walk that day to help burn off a few calories. If this is going to be a lifestyle change, and not just another diet for me. I have to give myself a little indulgence every once in awhile.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If one has been consistent with one's plan a couple of days of "free eating" won't result in a derailment. It's just food.
  • StephElizabeth88
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's. I'm lucky because my mom makes amazing collard greens so I'm telling her to only send me home with that. As for the planning the workout stuff, I only planned to do it because I have only just started working out so I don't really have a set schedule and my Gym is closed that day. I don't workout st home so I was trying to figure out what I could do at home as a workout. We don't eat until 4 anyway so usually im at home until 1 or so.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I fully plan on being a fat kid for thanksgiving. Don't try to take the plate away from me or I'll probably bite your hand.

Besides, refeed days are good for your health. I'll just drop cals down the few days before, shrink the stomach then veg out. Sounds like good times to me.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you wish... Thanksgiving and Christmas are only 2 days out of an entire year. 2 days will not prevent you from reaching your goals. Be social and enjoy the times.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I do not think of it as a cheat day. I still enjoy the foods I like, and I accept that I may go over my calories slightly, but I log everything and try to stick with my goals. I also log a few foods I know I am for sure going to eat on Tues and Wed...like a slice of pie on Tues, rolls on Wed. That way I save a few calories from those days and my weekly total still works out. I also try to drink a ton of water, avoid alcohol, and walk as much as possible after a heavy meal to keep things moving.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My gym is open 5am to noon on Thanksgiving day. I will be hitting the gym BEFORE enjoying thanksgiving lunch
  • StephElizabeth88
    Options
    I fully plan on being a fat kid for thanksgiving. Don't try to take the plate away from me or I'll probably bite your hand.

Besides, refeed days are good for your health. I'll just drop cals down the few days before, shrink the stomach then veg out. Sounds like good times to me.

What is a re feed day?
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Im low carb so Im gonna enjoy all the turkey , Ham and greens I want :)))
  • cwolfman13
    Options

boom-o.gif
  • cwolfman13
    Options

What is a re feed day?

Typically a day where you eat minimally too a maintenance level of calories but preferably more to make your metabolism work. It usually involves a higher level of carbohydrate intake than normal...the combination of additional carbs and calories raises leptin levels back to where they should be (though they drop as soon as you cut again)...but ultimately it is a way to let your body know that you're not going to underfeed it forever...and it's good for sanity purposes.
  • StephElizabeth88
    Options

What is a re feed day?

Typically a day where you eat minimally too a maintenance level of calories but preferably more to make your metabolism work. It usually involves a higher level of carbohydrate intake than normal...the combination of additional carbs and calories raises leptin levels back to where they should be (though they drop as soon as you cut again)...but ultimately it is a way to let your body know that you're not going to underfeed it forever...and it's good for sanity purposes.

Kind of like Intermittent Fasting? sorry about the multiple questions but i'm intrigued
  • gypsyGIRL159
    gypsyGIRL159 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a very interesting situation. I AM BLESSED! I essentially have NO ONE to cook for and fend for but MYSELF. This presents me with an ideal situation to eat right.... and continue to drop weight during this Blessed Holiday Season. My Plan is to eat basically my same food items.... to exercise and keep moving all during this Season of Cakes & Pies, and Various Birds, Dressing, Stuffing, and plenteous, delicious Treats. My Gym is open 24/7 and I will be there (doing what I normally do) and even doing more because I WANT MORE - SO MUCH MORE THAN OBESITY HAS TO OFFER.

I BELIEVE.... that with focus, discipline, and PRAYER I will meet my Goals and exceed my own expectations. I KNOW WHO I AM NOW.... and the Holiday Season is momentous to me in ways that food has historically train wrecked me. (I allowed that to happen, and blame no one). THAT LIFE IS OVER! Now, I will CELEBRATE in Truth, and in true Purpose.

My Journey is continuing into the Future so that I can live long, and prosper. I desire to be ALIVE and well in the Holiday Seasons to come so that my Children & Grand Children can see that I am a Blessing to them. (not a hinderance) I seek to enjoy the rest of my days.... not just by eating & drinking & making Merry. I have so much more within me than just to be known as the FAT lady. My future is going to have Food in it, for sure! However, NOW that I am aware of how my over indulgence of food in the Past sought to kill me, I will stay on my Journey so I will not end up as a Statistic!

It gives me great Joy to FINALLY do something for myself. It is such a small thing..... and Yet, it is HUGE.

Therefore, I SHALL EAT RIGHT.

I will eat enough to live and NOT die..... for I desire to LIVE TO EAT AGAIN, in the years to come.

Food is no longer the Big-Bad-Boss of me.

Glory to GOD!
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I will allow the actual holiday to be a cheat day - but not days leading up to them. I find the best way to deal with family meals is to take a little of everything you like and eat slowly. People notice you eating so no one puts the pressure on for you to eat. I have done this at several family meals as of late and mostly have been pleasantly surprised when adding up the calories because I usually end up right on track and don't even need my "cheat" day. I think a lot of it is just that I have gotten used to eating less and I can't even possibly eat as much as I used to so it doesn't even end up becoming a problem.
  • ElliottTN
    Options

What is a re feed day?

Exactly. It's kinda like hitting the reset button on your body. Typically you do for a couple days in a row. It's actual great for breaking through weight loss stalls. If you ever get stuck just do a refeed weekend. You will go up a pound or two but it will come off as quickly as you put it on and easily break through your plateau on the way back down. I usually do it once a month. Only restriction is you can't eat crap food while you do it (aka a drinking binge doesn't count as a refeed weekend)
  • dshields2013
    Options
    We usually go out to eat but this year, I will be cooking a small meal so that I know exactly how many calories I'm eating. I am looking for a low-fat pumpkin pie recipe. I hear Jennie-O boneless turkey breasts are good. I'm only making green bean casserole, cranberry sauce and maybe mashed potatoes. I'm definitely not have a smorgasbord. :)
  • ElliottTN
    Options

What is a re feed day?

Kind of like Intermittent Fasting? sorry about the multiple questions but i'm intrigued

No its a bit different. IF deals more with meal timing rather that food intake amount.