Fruits & low carb/low sugar

Options
I am trying to keep my carb/sugar intake on the low side, along with a 1200 cal day + moderate (70-90 min) walking. This means that my typical day is high protein + higher fat. My question is about fruit - loaded with sugar and carbs. I got bored with my usual egg breakfast and had a fruit/yogurt/milk smoothie this morning instead, which walloped me in the sugar/carb dept. And I am now hungry well in advance of lunch, where my faithful egg stood me well before.

What is the place of fruit in a diet such as mine? Use with caution? Avoid like the plague? Seems a shame to give up on all those wonderful nutrients that fruit bless us with. Thanks for any thoughts.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fruit contains a lot of suagr, and sugar IS a carb, so if you're wedded to that approach then you'll have to use caution when it comes to eating fruit.

Avoid the tropical fruits including bananas. Go for berries - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries instead. And watch quantities.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit as a side dish to my usual meals -- usually a bowl of blueberries and cut up strawberries with my egg breakfast. And whether I eat fruit of not I try to make sure each meal has more fat than protein and more protein than carbs and that seems to work out for me.
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I try to eat high protein/high fat too (don't look at my diary, it tells a different story, ha).

Berries are awesome though - lowest sugar profile of fruits and super good for you.

Melon is a decent choice, too.

**Edited to answer your question: I wouldn't avoid them! Stick to one serving a day and I think you'll be alright.
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am trying to keep my carb/sugar intake on the low side, along with a 1200 cal day + moderate (70-90 min) walking. This means that my typical day is high protein + higher fat. My question is about fruit - loaded with sugar and carbs. I got bored with my usual egg breakfast and had a fruit/yogurt/milk smoothie this morning instead, which walloped me in the sugar/carb dept. And I am now hungry well in advance of lunch, where my faithful egg stood me well before.

What is the place of fruit in a diet such as mine? Use with caution? Avoid like the plague? Seems a shame to give up on all those wonderful nutrients that fruit bless us with. Thanks for any thoughts.

I am doing a low carb diet (Atkins) as well. I don't have any fruit now as I am in Induction. I was on maintenance for a time and I had a smoothie for breakfast. In that smoothie I used 1 cup of fruit. Berries and melons are the best fruits to eat.