Help! Gained 5 pounds in 1 day???

Options
HELP!!! I'm on a weight loss plan and I have slowly but steadily been loosing weight. Stepped on my balance today, and was weighing 5 pounds more then the previous day....is that even possible???? I ate sensibly the previous day (unsweetened juice shakes (AM: coffee w artificial sweetener, 1 banana, Noon: cooked vegetable, 1 cup of cooked rice and beans , PM 1 cup of cereal w skimmed milk, snack : 1 glass of natural unsweetened passion fruit juice). And I'm not menstruating so I don't think it's water retention...What on earth is going on??? I also double checked and my balance is calibrated....So, any ideas?

Replies

• nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Dont stress over it. I lost a few pounds this morning on the toilet.
  • greenesymantha
    Options
    As a girl this happens to me to. Between water weight and that time of the month this is normal.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    As a girl this happens to me to. Between water weight and that time of the month this is normal.

^ This
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It happens. Don't stress about it. Most likely just water weight.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    If you changed up your routine at all like lifting heavier weights or more reps/sets then it could be your muscles hanging onto the water for repair. If thats the case, it'll come off in a couple days. Don't stress too much
  • easy_tiger91
    Options
    I wouldn't worry unless it doesn't come off after a couple days. To gain 5 pounds of fat in a day you'd have to consume 17,500 calories OVER your daily burn, and you'd have to try pretty hard to manage that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's not fat...because science and math and ****...you'd have to consume 17,500 calories over your maintenance level of calories to actually gain 1 Lb of fat overnight...for the average woman that would be a total of about 19,500 calories or so...I highly doubt you did that...and if you did, that's extremely impressive.

Natural body weight fluctuations average anywhere from 2- 5 lbs either way and sometimes more. Numerous reasons...high sodium day causing water retention...new workout or increased intensity of workout causing water retention...more carbs than usual resulting in some replenishment of glycogen stores...TOM or other hormonal issues, poop, etc, etc, etc....
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain, I went from 182 to 187 in a matter of a couple of days. I have a feeling its from eating undercooked brown rice and lentils. Now that I got them fully cooked, the fiber should easier to digest. You could have water weight, it happens. Just keep doing what you're doing and it'll come off.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Are bodies are constantly in flux. We have intake and out take. We have hormones at play. An increase of weight as you have described means nothing. It is just that our bodies are not like a weight or rock that weighs consistently day after day.
  • davadoto
    davadoto Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Very helpful. I do tend to panic: it took me 3 weeks of hard work (more work than what I usually commit to) to lose these 5 pounds.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I weighed 9 pounds more on Monday morning than I did on Sunday. It happens. Could have something to do with the 12,000 calories I ate, meh.
  • davadoto
    Options
    It's not fat...because science and math and ****...you'd have to consume 17,500 calories over your maintenance level of calories to actually gain 1 Lb of fat overnight...for the average woman that would be a total of about 19,500 calories or so...I highly doubt you did that...and if you did, that's extremely impressive.

Natural body weight fluctuations average anywhere from 2- 5 lbs either way and sometimes more. Numerous reasons...high sodium day causing water retention...new workout or increased intensity of workout causing water retention...more carbs than usual resulting in some replenishment of glycogen stores...TOM or other hormonal issues, poop, etc, etc, etc....
    Lol. I only had 1300 Cal or so. Very detailed and helpful explanations though, thx a lot. I did just add push ups to my routine, but not much. And the previous days more salt (but same Cal intake) than usual.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Did you eat a 17,500 calorie surplus in one day? If not, then you most certainly did not gain 5 pounds of fat. Take a deep breath and try not to weigh yourself so much.
  • davadoto
    Options
    ...Take a deep breath and try not to weigh yourself so much.

I'll try. Thx.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress about it either. I also don't weight myself everyday just for that reason. Once a week seems more realistic.
  • davadoto
    Options
    I also don't weight myself everyday just for that reason. Once a week seems more realistic.
    I have just challenged myself and the deadline is approaching. For the past 2 weeks I have also been trying a new exercise and diet regimen and wanted to be sure it was working. I think I got carried away and weighted myself almost everyday :embarassed: