Workout bench alternative

Options
One of the areas that I am seriously in need of work is the upper chest. When I've looked in to exercises that are targeted at those muscles, it seems that all of them are done on an incline on a weight bench.

For now, I'm stuck with a few weight bands and an elliptical. That's all I've got. Any ideas?

Replies

• summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Get a Swiss Ball. Cheap, portable, and better for your accessory muscles than a bench anyway. Or, if you mean weight bands like theraband, or elastic bands, then you can put them behind your back and hold with both hands, and do the exercise. For example: http://www.ehow.com/video_4955308_pilates-theraband-exercises-bench-press.html
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Put your feet up on a couch or chair and do push-ups. They are called decline push ups and work the same part of the chest and incline presses. This is also one of the exercises in the P90X program
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Summer - i have the tube resistance bands, but those therabands looks interesting...

Erik - I'll have to give the decline a try. I really have no upper chest strength what so ever. It's embarrassing yes... but i'm struggling through the pushups (standard, wide, close) in P90. Struggling, but i'm doing them. I know that i am "benching" a portion of my body weight when doing pushups and being 200 lbs, I'm certainly pushing less than that during pushups, but it's just too much at this point. I fear it's a combination of never really using my upper chest muscles combined with how much i weigh.

Thanks!