Afraid/Struggling to gain weight!

Options
Okay guys, I am 5ft 7 and 6st 10Ibs, I understand I am severely underweight however I am afraid of gaining weight... I seriously dont know why, please help and any sort of discussion will really help me! :)
Thanks.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Okay guys, I am 5ft 7 and 6st 10Ibs, I understand I am severely underweight however I am afraid of gaining weight... I seriously dont know why, please help and any sort of discussion will really help me! :)
    Thanks.

I think you need to speak to a professional instead of seeking this kind of help on the internet. This is body dysmorphia.
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    Damn... so stressed atm,
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I think you need to speak to a professional instead of seeking this kind of help on the internet. This is body dysmorphia.

agreed, you need to speak to a doctor...
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Weight has NOTHING to do with being fat. I can be 200lbs fat or I can be 200lbs shredded with a sixpack because weight has nothing to do with being fat. Being fat is about your bodyfat percentage and has nothing to do with your weight. Do some strength training, eat more, and make good gains.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Thanks.

I think it is good that you realize you are underweight and that you are scared of gaining. I don't know if you have a history of eating disorders or not, but the low weight accompanied by fear of weight gain hints at anorexia (not to label you). Do you want to gain weight? if so, that is truly significant. A nutritionist can help you get started with how to get the proper calories in. As far as why you fear gaining...some people, when they are at a very low weight actually experience changes in their thinking. So it makes perfect sense why you might be scared of weight gain. or maybe you find it comfortable to be underweight. perhaps you get rewarded is some way for your current size. but to conquer the fear you will likely need help from someone experienced with eating disorders. good luck to you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

This
    Damn... so stressed atm,
    why are you stressed?

explain it out- ramble- stream of conscious- doesn't matter- just explain your brain a little. This will help.

Secondly. make a game plan. It's easy to feel overwhelmed if you don't know how to fix the problem you have.
    Identify the program- and start to make a plan.

so. Step one already taken care of right? cool good check- that's an important part.
    two- schedule an appointment to see a doctor- a regular one and a therapist.
    three- research how much you need to be eating regularly- find your maintenance calories.
    four- make some meal plans and figure out food you can like- munch on through the day to hit those calories. nuts- ice cream- smoothies- all great ways to add tasty food to your day.

so that leads you to 5 and 6-
    Five: shop!!! for grocieries
    Six: prepare meals

gives you a start on what to do... but seeing professionals will go a long way to help.