So, you think you hate the BMI now?

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    but here's the thing... why are they focusing on "fat" and "not fat"?
    We can generally visually judge if someone is too large for their height, but the real question is: is this person's body HEALTHY?

Whether you are or aren't fat is a factor insurance companies and employers are allowed to discriminate on. Thus ways to objectively identify who is and isn't fat is important to those greedy a-holes.

FIFY :flowerforyou:
  • nikkis01
    nikkis01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There was a really good program on the BBC recently called "The Men Who Made Us Fat" and it covered the issue of BMI. It was apparently created by an insurance guy who noticed that people who were bigger tended to have more health problems and died younger. He created the BMI as an insurance tool to work out insurance premiums. After it had been used for a while they decided to shift the boundaries so that people who were on the verge of becoming overweight were now classed as being overweight and this shift would spur them to lose weight and stay in the healthy range. So people who were classes as being health were now deemed to be overweight and would lose pounds in order to be classed as healthy again.

The program covered a wide range of issues relating to weight and was defiantly worth a watch on the iplayer.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    We can generally visually judge if someone is too large for their height, but the real question is: is this person's body HEALTHY?

Whether you are or aren't fat is a factor insurance companies and employers are allowed to discriminate on. Thus ways to objectively identify who is and isn't fat is important.

Insurance companies and employers could use blood tests to identify who is at risk for heart disease and diabetes, and who is not. While they're at it, they could identify who is at risk for osteoporosis, i.e. people who are underweight.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    that's a great explanation, so if we lower the threshold the false positive group gets larger correct? So what does that lead to is it a better indicator of health, mortality, fitness? Would it be more beneficial to have a large false positive group to get further testing to eliminate the ones who are not truly fat even though it becomes more involved and costly?

That is the question, isn't it. Would increasing the confidence on the negative group (reducing the incidence of false negatives) be worth the increased effort and cost to filter out more false positives?

Hard question to answer. Depends on what its being used for. Probably yes for doctor based risk screening or medical research, no for insurance risk and underwriting.
  • waldo56
    Options

Whether you are or aren't fat is a factor insurance companies and employers are allowed to discriminate on. Thus ways to objectively identify who is and isn't fat is important.

Insurance companies and employers could use blood tests to identify who is at risk for heart disease and diabetes, and who is not. While they're at it, they could identify who is at risk for osteoporosis, i.e. people who are underweight.

No they can't. That type of screening is not legal (anymore).

(It is allowed to a degree for some high risk professions, but not for insurance).
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    What??!?!?!
    That would put me from obese to morbidly obese. Ouch! :noway:
    Kicker is that my body fat % has me at the top end of healthy/acceptable, not overweight.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    At my weight and height ( 4"11.75 , 119lbs) I would be in the overweight category again after busting my butt to get out of it. But I say F that, they can kiss my overweight *kitten*. I dont care about BMI. I care about how much I can deadlift!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

(It is allowed to a degree for some high risk professions, but not for insurance).

Unfortunately, they can still ask for blood tests. We switched to Cigna C-change and to get onto the lower deductible plan with more coverage requires a blood test. Although, they say it is for benign purposes "only for you" and there will be no genetic screening you still question the ethics of it and what they are really doing with your blood. GRRRRRR.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    "Based on their findings, Braverman and his coauthor, New York State Commissioner of Health Nirav Shah, M.D., say the BMI threshold for obesity, which now stands at 30, should be lowered to 24 for women and 28 for men."
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/03/health/obesity-rates-maybe-worse/

Smh

Contradictory article is contradictory. :noway:
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    "Based on their findings, Braverman and his coauthor, New York State Commissioner of Health Nirav Shah, M.D., say the BMI threshold for obesity, which now stands at 30, should be lowered to 24 for women and 28 for men."

Smh

LIES!!

Spawn's BMI is 30. Thats not including the 6,000+ souls in his body.

He's definitely is not fat or obese because there is no way the Prince of Darkness would be recruiting out of shape / incapable individuals to lead Hell's army. Duh!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

Smh

It's not so much that I hate it as I think we give it too much credit. It's just too vague. Many people don't understand that your body's weight includes BOTH healthy, necessary tissue in addition to any fat you may have that you could afford to lose.

In cases like this article, it creates this paranoia about weight because all people will hear is "OMG! I'm OBESE now! I've got to lose weight!". Then, instead of their weight being a non-emotional statistic regarding their body, it becomes an even more frightening boogeyman, which fuels the market for sham weight-loss products because all people care about is losing weight, not improving their health.
  • CookieDoughYummy
    Options
    BMI really doesn't bother me, I completely disregard it because I think it's wrong most of the time. I do weights and lift 40lbs nearly every day and I gain muscle very easily (Thanks mom!) According to my GP I'm between obese and morbidly obese because of my weight, but my body fat percentage is 29%. Everyone has different amounts of muscle, so it's not accurate at all really.
  • bfpower
    bfpower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As a healthcare professional I can guarantee two things:

1) most physicians will not automatically diagnose you with obesity because of your BMI. They will look at a lot of other factors, since BMI was never intended to be a standalone measure of health, only a red flag to consider more fully whether a person is healthy or not.
    2) one study is virtually never enough to change medical opinion. Typically these things take at least three or four peer-reviewed studies and at least a few years after that to absorb into clinical thinking. Doctors are SLOW to change, for good reason.

But the fact remains that for most people in most situations, BMI DOES work. It's obvious it can't work for everyone, but how many people truly have bodybuilder problems? I have yet to see one come through our clinic. And as for the other side of not working (the low weight person with high body fat) there are certainly other warning signs. Generally speaking, BMI will still work. That said, I don't think it should be used to calculate insurance rates UNLESS there's also a diagnosis of obesity. BMI alone, despite its rather reliable ability to predict danger to health, is not enough.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Smh

Contradictory article is contradictory. :noway:

wait I just thought of something why would the threshold for women be lower when women have general overall body fatness than men?

So a 5'11" woman would have to weigh 20lbs less than a 5'11" man to be considered overweight even though her gender is going to have more fat, less LBM why does this seem wrong to me? Can someone explain what would be the reasoning behind this are we going with less bone mass, muscle mass?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Our company told us that starting in 2015, BMI will be a factor in our healthcare plan cost (as will smoking). I can see this becoming a popular trend among healthcare companies.

It all makes perfect sense now. More obese people means insurance companies can charge more.

Maybe that's the point of all this research? hmmm...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 21.1 so I guess I'm still good. BMI doesn't really work for my husband though. His BMI is 28, which would be obese under the article's standards, but you'd never know it by looking at him. He's much leaner than his peers. He's just very muscular. I hope nobody gets discouraged by this. I'm not gonna give it a second thought myself.

ETA: Personally, I think a more useful tool would be waist ratio measurements.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    The military goes by BMI, when I joined in 2001 I had to get a waiver for my weight because I weighed 182, and the government felt I should weigh 172 max. At that point in my life I was running, swimming and lifting 5-6 days a week, and had a BF% between 12-15% I had to get taped before every PRT because I was considered overweight. Made no sense to me. BMI is a useless one size fits all government classification, and is just one more example of why the government shouldn't be trusted with even the power it already has over us, let alone any more.

Rigger

No kidding. I have known several muscular guys with the same issue. BF% is a much better indicator.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mtrfhhEu9l1sj3oxho1_500.gif

I've accepted that I'm always going to be fat by doctors' standards, so I'm not overly fussed. I just wish they'd use their brains for something other than hat racks.
    6' w/ a goal weight of 185 will just put me at "overweight", not "obese".

*phew*

Dodged a bullet there.

ETA: However, I'm sometimes measured at 5'11", which puts me just a little bit closer.
    Wear your hat. That adds, what?, 2-3 inches?
  • waldo56
    Options

Unfortunately, they can still ask for blood tests. We switched to Cigna C-change and to get onto the lower deductible plan with more coverage requires a blood test. Although, they say it is for benign purposes "only for you" and there will be no genetic screening you still question the ethics of it and what they are really doing with your blood. GRRRRRR.

I thought that this was specifically outlawed by the ACA. Unless its a smoking test (usually don't need a blood test for that though).
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    BMI is a crock, as most people here understand. However, it is unfortunately used to determine things like ones eligibility for transplant. I am just coming up to be eligible for my lung transplant after losing almost 30 pounds. If they switch it, then I would have to lose another 30. They will not go by BF% even though right now mine is considered at least healthy, not ideal, but at least healthy. Hardly seems right....