What the HECK!!!!!!

thomasmarnold
thomasmarnold Posts: 64
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been working out and dieting, for 7 weeks, going at it, 6 days a week......3 days Cardio 60+ minutes per day and 3 days half cardio and half weights plus swimming. I have been under my calorie goal by at least 150 calories each day and up until this week I had lost 18 lbs. But this week I have gained 2 lbs. I do not understand. I am watching my diet. Busting my butt at the Gym..... I can't see putting on 2 lbs of muscle in one week. I am doing eveything right, so why and I gaining instead of losing.......I am very frustrated....... Can anyone help me??????

Replies

• erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Hi there - sorry, I completely mis read your original post so what I wrote before doesn't apply...sorry!

However...

Looks like you're getting good losses, and perhaps your expectations are too high - the body can naturally swing a few pounds in either direction at any given time, so you're looking for overall trends rather than just what happens on a weekly basis.

Good luck!

Erika
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    18 lbs in 7 weeks is great- and a lot! Almost 3 lbs a week! That is awesome!

There will be weeks when you won't lose, and yes, it could be due to muscle mass. Also, I was reading that sometimes you can exercise too much. WHen you say you are staying under your calories by 150 is that including exercise calories? Perhaps you are not eating enough and your body needs the 150 calories each day for the amount of working out you are doing.

Take it easy on yourself. Only one week of no loss/small gain- I think many of us would die for that!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    I looked at your food diary, and you are consistently over on sugar.... could that be part of the problem? Also, do you take a rest day for your body to repair? After I hit my plateau I started taking one day a week to do nothing more than a leisurely walk, and I really think that helps. And make sure you aren't too far under your calories... MFP suggests that calorie goal for a reason, so make sure you aren't eating too little and slowing your metabolism. Best of luck, hope that helps.
  • Hey Thomas that has happened to me and it went away within a few days. You might just have a lot of extra water in your system combined with some new muscle, and scales can vary a little bit too depending on their accuracy and positioning and even how you stand on them. Try not to get discouraged and just keep going at it. You know you are doing the right thing for your health and appearance. Keep up the good work buddy!
  • Van3ssa_2468
    Van3ssa_2468 Posts: 76 Member
    you are not alone..
    I put on weight when I started exercising too.
    It has been 8 weeks for me and I am finally seeing my effort pay off.
    You are doing great!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    It also looks like maybe you don't eat your exercise calories? But, if you do, be sure that you are estimating your calorie burn correctly so you don't overeat! Even if you eat them 1/2 the time, or go over on your non-exercise days... something to keep your metabolism confident that there is no shortage of food coming in. You should try adjusting your intake a little bit (ie, a little more every day, every other, once a week) and find what works for you.

Also, one week on a plateau - don't worry about it. Your body is going through big adjustments! Also, not sure what you are set to lose, but depending on what your end goal is, you might need to change them - ie, down from 2 lb a week to 1 lbs a week. As you get closer to your goal it will start to move more slowly.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    It could be just a flux. Another week will tell you if you have plateaued or not. Make sure to weigh at the same time of day prefferably early moring.
    Looking at your diet there are a few modifications you could make. Bacon is not a food, it has almost no nutrional value, only bad fat and is loaded with salt. It's hard to change the coffee cream to milk, but you can do this by making the change gradual, first whole milk then work down. Skim doesn't cut it and makes coffee look grey.
    Load up on more fruit and veg. Lots more. Raw and cooked. Dark colors are the best.
    I think your body is just adjusting to your new great habits. Keep up the exercise, make sure you eat enough and don't let the numbers get you down.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    I agree with what everyone is saying. You likely have hit a plateau and need to vary your work out and or meal choices. Also remember as you drop pounds think of how your body changes and clothes fit. There are many ways to measure fitness and health and while weight does matter, sometimes it's just a number when you consider body shape, muscle mass and bone structure. If you have trimmed out and have less and or minimal fat on you then weight gain can relate to muscle developement.
  • Shaylala
    Shaylala Posts: 13 Member
    I have found that my salt intake can GREATLY affect my weight bouncing around. It is crazy and surprising. I gained 2lbs one week even though I had been working out consistantly- I was eating salty foods unknowingly. I also attend Weight Watchers meetings and the people there have had the same thing happen to them. Also, if your muscles are sore, they can be retaining water to help mend.
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Maybe 3lb per week is a little too much. Losing too much weight an cause you to lose muscle and it will show on the scales. You possibly need to eat little more and safely lose 1-2lb per week x
This discussion has been closed.