College Football

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I just can't fathom rooting for an entire conference.... It makes zero sense in my head.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I just can't fathom rooting for an entire conference.... It makes zero sense in my head.

Oh, big 12...'splans it.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Oh, big 12...'splans it.

LOL - not sure why, but okay :)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Oh, big 12...'splans it.

Please splain this ^
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    One needs only to look at the past Saturday to see who is the better team and who is more deserving of a title shot. Auburn beating the #1 team by 6, and Ohio State squeaking by an unranked team by 1. Furthermore, put any of the top four, possibly 6, teams from the SEC west in Ohio States schedule and they go undefeated. A weak schedule should not be rewarded.

Auburn beat Ga (currently ranked #22) by 6. Ohio State beat Wisconson (currently ranked #21) by 7. But lets look at the rest of the schedule. That was Ohio States only game against a currently ranked team. And they are not even in the top 20. Auburn has beaten 3 currently ranked teams. Including the then #1, currently #3 Tide. Auburns only loss is to a team better than ANYONE Ohio State has played to this point (#15 LSU). And while Ohio State has the ability to add to it's resume with a win over #10 (which would only be their second win over a ranked team), Auburn gets a chance at it's fourth ranked win, and it's second top 5 win IN A ROW. Which would be two wins that far surpase in quality what would be Ohio States ONLY quality win.

When Auburns schedule is THAT superior, and their only loss comes to a team better than any team Ohio State played, there is no argurment for Ohio State deserving to play in the title game. Auburn would have wiped the floor with Ohio State's schedule. Auburn is easily one of the top two in the country, and if they beat Mizzou (which is a tall order in and of itself), they are the deserving school.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    One needs only to look at the past Saturday to see who is the better team and who is more deserving of a title shot. Auburn beating the #1 team by 6, and Ohio State squeaking by an unranked team by 1. Furthermore, put any of the top four, possibly 6, teams from the SEC west in Ohio States schedule and they go undefeated. A weak schedule should not be rewarded.

Auburn beat Ga (currently ranked #22) by 6. Ohio State beat Wisconson (currently ranked #21) by 7. But lets look at the rest of the schedule. That was Ohio States only game against a currently ranked team. And they are not even in the top 20. Auburn has beaten 3 currently ranked teams. Including the then #1, currently #3 Tide. Auburns only loss is to a team better than ANYONE Ohio State has played to this point (#15 LSU). And while Ohio State has the ability to add to it's resume with a win over #10 (which would only be their second win over a ranked team), Auburn gets a chance at it's fourth ranked win, and it's second top 5 win IN A ROW. Which would be two wins that far surpase in quality what would be Ohio States ONLY quality win.

When Auburns schedule is THAT superior, and their only loss comes to a team better than any team Ohio State played, there is no argurment for Ohio State deserving to play in the title game. Auburn would have wiped the floor with Ohio State's schedule. Auburn is easily one of the top two in the country, and if they beat Mizzou (which is a tall order in and of itself), they are the deserving school.

And then one notices that Auburn barely scraped by Miss St and Wash St.

Auburn might have wiped the floor with Ohio State's schedule. Or lost a few times. Maybe Auburn would be 9-3 in the B1G. They are a few plays away from 8-4 as is. Auburn didn't play a single team on Ohio State's schedule, so it's kinda ridiculous to speculate.
  • _John_
    Options
    Oh, big 12...'splans it.

Please splain this ^

crummy conference with no unity.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options
    And then one notices that Auburn barely scraped by Miss St and Wash St.

Auburn might have wiped the floor with Ohio State's schedule. Or lost a few times. Maybe Auburn would be 9-3 in the B1G. They are a few plays away from 8-4 as is. Auburn didn't play a single team on Ohio State's schedule, so it's kinda ridiculous to speculate.

I was about to make a similar comment. This ^ all the way.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options

^ This is the best that you come back with... :laugh:

Edit: How is this different then most other schools. All schools are going to do what is best for them... not how it effects a conference as a whole so unity... ok... :laugh:
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    If OSU beats MSU I do not think that Auburn will jump in the #2 spot. Even with Auburn having the strength of schedule and IF they beat Mizzou (being ranked with what they are) I dont see the polls putting a one loss SEC team over an undefeated BIG10 team... But also lets not forget that FSU could easily lose in the ACC championship game as well which would bump everyone up one and it could be OSU and Auburn for the title. Or even both FSU and OSU losing therefore putting in 2 SEC teams in the title game. Damn... that playoff needs to get here sooner then later.

You are so right on with this and couldn't agree more about the playoff system! WDE!!!
  • _John_
    Options

would you have even read it if I didn't provide the cliff notes version?
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Now conferences should have unity? LOL

Leave it to the southerners...taking "unity" to a whole new level....

:justinfun:
  • _John_
    Options

"should" and "can" are completely different topics. And when is Oklahoma better than "southerners". This is like arguing over whose (feces) smells worse...
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options

Someone is butt hurt over conference realigment... :laugh:

Unity... a school is going to do what is best for THEM... not a whole damn conference. :laugh:
  • Hornsby
    Options

"should" and "can" are completely different topics. And when is Oklahoma better than "southerners". This is like arguing over whose (feces) smells worse...

I didn't say we were better. I definitely don't think that way. Just messin' with you. I honestly just don't get it, and never will. I went to a school for a school, not for a conference. I can't see any logical reasoning where I would ever root for different conference rivals. I guess I "could" have conference unity, but since it doesn't make any logical sense for one to do so, I prefer not to.
  • _John_
    Options

Unity... a school is going to do what is best for THEM... not a whole damn conference. :laugh:

no butthurt here. I was always on board for the right reasons. (unless you actually get the LHN) you have no idea how nice it is to have every game televised no matter where you are. Seriously, it's so much nicer over here that I can't even fathom how bad it was back where we were.
  • _John_
    Options

I didn't say we were better. I definitely don't think that way. Just messin' with you. I honestly just don't get it, and never will. I went to a school for a school, not for a conference. I can't see any logical reasoning where I would ever root for different conference rivals. I guess I "could" have a conference unity, but since it doesn't make any logical sense for one to do so, I prefer not to.

If you lived in Mississippi (back to the OP) would you rather live vicariously thru LSU and Alabama or root for Ole Miss or Miss State? If you didn't have vested interest in either, I'd be rooting for the whole conference too.

Living in Jackson is hell, as there is no good local school to pull for. How that city ended up without a major university near it is curious to me (I grew up in LA about 90 mins away). Of course, Jackson MS isn't the cultural mecca that a city like Baton Rouge is...(sarcasm).
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options

no butthurt here. I was always on board for the right reasons. (unless you actually get the LHN) you have no idea how nice it is to have every game televised no matter where you are. Seriously, it's so much nicer over here that I can't even fathom how bad it was back where we were.

Ok but explain how the Big 12 is a crummy conference.... What was so bad about it? Is the only reasoning just the TV rights is your reasoning for the comment?
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Ok but explain how the Big 12 is a crummy conference.... What was so bad about it? Is the only reasoning just the TV rights is your reasoning for the comment?

Being an Anti Conference homer gal, I do have to answer your question with the obvious. While I don't say the Big 12 is "crummy" (only the Big East IMO is truly crummy).. when was the last time a Big 12 team won a national title? It's been a while.

I LOATHE "team SEC" people. Strongly. I think it's dumb. I think "Conference unity" is as dumb as giving 5th place trophies.
    But you can see how a UGA fan who hasn't won anything in a while would be hanging off the nuts of Bama.

Maybe it would be different for ACC, Big 12, Big East and blah blah fans if a team from their conference had won the MNC game for many years straight......
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options

Most from the upper states, do not understand the SEC and their fans.
    Used to consider myself from the upper states till I graduated from AU.

Football is a game of inches and taken advantage of opportunities (what others call luck)

Just one old man's opinion ....