Everyone Was Wrong: Saturated Fat Is Good For You

Options
Timshel_
Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
Greatist Article is pretty cool.

"In the past 30 years in the United States, the amount of calories from consumed fat has fallen from 40 percent to 30 percent, while obesity has doubled and heart disease has remained the country’s number one killer.

But the spread of obesity has no single cause; there are a lot of complicated factors that have led to America’s health crisis. To figure out whether saturated fat should be added back into our diets, let’s take a closer look at its effect on the body."

http://greatist.com/health/saturated-fat-healthy

Replies

• vvvalentines
    Options
    I like that the article emphasizes minimally-processed sources of saturated fat, like grass-fed meat and coconuts. I personally love eating coconut butter (not oil) as a fatty, healthy snack.

A lot of flavor molecules in foods are fat-soluble, so food just tastes better with a little fat.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    it would be better if he properly cited his information. However, Saturated fat is good for you, along with monounsaturated fat. PUFA is also healthy for you because it does have the EFA our body requires. The only problem is the synthetic trans fat we encounter.

It is important to have a well balanced diet and most people will agree that processed foods is a problem in our society. Do I eat it? Yes. Do I enjoy it? Yes

Its all about moderation and that is the key to overall sustainability.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    A lot of flavor molecules in foods are fat-soluble, so food just tastes better with a little fat.

?
    what
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am finding that without saturated fat I find myself hungry all the time. Thank you for sharing
  • vvvalentines
    Options

?
    what

Fat on its own usually isn't very flavorful, but the compounds in foods that provide flavor/aroma are often fat-soluble, so the fat carries the flavors in your mouth and makes the food more enjoyable to eat. More or less.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    People like to be told good things about their bad habits.