PCOS & Blood Glucose Levels

Options
I have just been diagnosed with PCOS and am quite upset and confused.

I have been told to loose 20kg and that it will be hard for me to do so because of this condition.

Although i am not currently trying to get pregnant, i want to have that option in the future. So I'd like to get my body ovulating now.

Upon reading about PCOS it seems to have a lot to do with insulin resistance and Blood Glucose.

Should I invest in a blood glucose monitor and if so, what kind of results should i be looking for/avoiding??

If someone could help explain this to be it would be much appreciated.

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS over 10 years ago. At the time I did not display any abnormal insulin reactions. I responded normally on the glucose response test at the dr. office. Since then I have developed Type 2 diabetes.

If you are not yet Type 2 diabetic, I would not bother with a glucose meter. The testing strips are expensive, even when covered by insurance, and I'm not sure if you will get much value if your results are normal.

From a diet perspective be aware that your body probably doesn't process carbohydrates like 'normal' people. You might find you will lose weight better on a diet focused on high protein and low carbohydrate. That is the only way I have ever been able to lose my entire life. Whenever I have gone back to eating lots of carbs, which I love, the weight has always come right back.

Also, one of the things I learned as a diabetic, is that exercise isn't just about burning calories. It actually helps change how your body uses insulin. I didn't understand at the time, but one trainer said that I should think of exercise like a medicine to help make my body more sensitive to insulin. Her recommendation was 30 minutes per day. I have had to work up to that, but I have seen changes in how my body responds to carbs eaten.

I can't really comment on the fertility side of things because I have never pursued having children. There are lots of PCOS books and support groups out there. Look around and find some materials you like.