Reigning yourself in on the holidays?

Options
2»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I know that Christmas & Thanksgiving are really big food holidays, and since I've just started at MFP and dieting in general, I was wondering if anyone had any tips about "surviving" the attack of food that seems to come around every November-December? I want to eat enough (but not overeat, obviously) and still enjoy myself and all the dishes that my family members take so much pride in making. But I don't want to feel bad about it the next day!

This has been quoted before many times on MFP -

"..it's not what you eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it's what you eat between Christmas and Thanksgiving"
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on reigning it in. I am blessed to have a great family, and I love Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm going to eat what I want. Sure, maybe I'll try not to reach for that 3rd roll or second helping of whatever, but I am going to relax and enjoy the time with my family. I'm doing a Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning, and I'll be sure to ramp up the exercise the rest of the weekend.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Eat everything you want, but not a lot.

Watch your drinks - like non-alcoholic drinks. Eggnog in TINY glasses. Drinking water will buy you a lot of calories for other food.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy the food....though if you could maybe have smaller portions and or exercise more to help with the calorie intake :)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I don't log on holidays. Alot of people go a little overboard on sweets the weeks leading up to a holiday. Christmas is a 2 day holiday... not a month long holiday. It's ok to have an occasional treat if you are reasonable with the amount. On the day, I try to concentrate on small servings so I can try everything I want... and go easy on the dessert. I also make sure to go for a walk after dinner to work off some of those calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I pretty much stay on my program except for Thanksgiving, company Christmas party, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve
  • mbagradstudent
    Options
    I'm going to a Brazilian Steakhouse tonight for dinner. Per MFP the average meal is 1500 calories....is that right?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my holiday eating to the actual holidays, not let the whole season be a 6-week free-for-all.

One of my employers is doing a voluntary program this year where you weigh in before Thanksgiving and again after New Years and if you haven't gained, you get $25. I thought it was a cute idea.