Stop Juicing: It’s not healthy

Options
Stop Juicing: It’s not healthy, it’s not virtuous, and it makes you seem like a jerk. Article in Slate. http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/11/juice_cleanses_not_healthy_not_virtuous_just_expensive.html

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Well this isn't rude or judgmental or jerky at all.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Jack LaLanne (96) before he died would disagree. I would too.
  • alynewbill
    Options
    I tried juicing this past week. Even following recipes that were supposed to be "delicious", I started dry heaving after 2-3 sips of each one and felt sick the rest of the first day. I then switched to a vegetarian diet for the week instead. The weird thing is that I like all of the different fruits and veggies that were juiced, just not in juice form I suppose.

I will say that I agree with the article questioning the tie to eating disorders. I've struggled with anorexia and then bingeing for years, and as soon as I heard about juicing, it triggered that part of my thought process. The connection was confirmed for me at the end of the first day when I realized that I couldn't keep the juices down but felt like a failure for actually *eating* the fruits and veggies whole.
  • zensugi
    Options
    Perhaps the question is What person with a **healthy relationship** with food would choose juicing as his/her diet?
  • alynewbill
    Options
    ^^^THIS.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* I like juicing, but I don't consider my juice a meal.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    You can drink your juice and eat your food too lol It actually does more harm than good. Your digestive system doesn't need a "break" it knows what its doing. If you think your eating too much crap don't go on a cleanse then go right back to eating crap. Just work some healthy things in, and stop freaking out about it.
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you don't like juicing don't f*cking do it. And don't give people a hard time about it. Giving people a hard time about the way they consume calories makes YOU seem like a jerk.
  • zensugi
    Options
    Sensitive about it. Aren't we? I thought the article would be useful under "Food and Nutrition".
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with picking up a couple of free windfall apples and drinking the juice, it is neither expensive nor unhealthy.

The idea of a "juice cleanse" or "juice detox" is fairly laughable, a way of parting the worried well from their surplus cash. 1st world problem.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Juicing as a notion is neither healthy or unhealthy.

Either way, all your food is "Juiced" before it enters your gut by your teeth, tongue and stomach - so your digestive system does not get a "break" anyway.

As above, the notion of a "juice cleanse" is so laughable that if you fall for it you have nobody to blame but yourself.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Why isn't it healthy to consume fruits and vegetables in liquid form? I don't see the problem.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I like to juice. Keeps me sane.

51PKsy7OOJL._SS500_.jpg
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: Stop Juicing: It’s not healthy

And in other news: Hitler wasn't a fan of the Jews.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Why isn't it healthy to consume fruits and vegetables in liquid form? I don't see the problem.

It isn't either more or less healthy than eating them, because teeth, enzymes in siliva and stomach acid.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see.

I was thinking about a different type of "juicing" altogether....
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I like orange juice though.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    So instead of having my nice fruits & vegs juice for breakfast, what would you suggest? I am terrrible about eating vegs especially, so I get more by juicing than I normally would. And when I don't have juice, I have nothing for breakfast. NOT a breakfast person.

Sorry OP, but your post comes across as douchey and judgemental.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    What about pureeing? Is that allowed?

I'm not giving up mashing for anyone!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    ROID RAGE ENGAGE.