Please answer this...

Yes, it's me again.

With another question. :-/

Alright. If one is faced with two snacks, which should they choose:

#1 - An all-natural, natural sweetener-only, whole grain granola bar that "costs" us 140 calories...

or

#2 - A 90 calorie granola bar filled with preservatives, processed grains and sugars, etc...?

(This is just an example. There are many such instances of processed foods equaling less than homemade!)

Theoretically, we would choose the 90 calorie... going by calorie counting. Yet, it is the least healthy choice, by nutritional standards.

So...

Does one actually cost us body-wise more than the one we would assume does?

I'm probably making no sense, here... Argh.

I guess what I'm asking is... is it RIGHT to choose the low calorie snack even when it is not as nutritionally sound? Don't our bodies need the other one that costs a higher calorie intake, more?????

Carrie

Replies

• carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Yes, it's me again.

With another question. :-/

Alright. If one is faced with two snacks, which should they choose:

#1 - An all-natural, natural sweetener-only, whole grain granola bar that "costs" us 140 calories...

or

#2 - A 90 calorie granola bar filled with preservatives, processed grains and sugars, etc...?

(This is just an example. There are many such instances of processed foods equaling less than homemade!)

Theoretically, we would choose the 90 calorie... going by calorie counting. Yet, it is the least healthy choice, by nutritional standards.

So...

Does one actually cost us body-wise more than the one we would assume does?

I'm probably making no sense, here... Argh.

I guess what I'm asking is... is it RIGHT to choose the low calorie snack even when it is not as nutritionally sound? Don't our bodies need the other one that costs a higher calorie intake, more?????

Carrie
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    I was wondering the same thing. I would opt for the more nutritionally dense choice...and just figure in the extra calories.:smile:
  • JJAE53
    JJAE53 Posts: 97 Member
    I generally perfer natural. It's gotta be better for us. If I'm short on calories, I'll exercise more so I can work the extra calories in.
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    I always pick the healthier one- the one with more vitamins and minerals, more healthy ingredients, etc. and figure it is worth the extra calories. A lot of times organic bars/snacks etc. have more calories, but I'd rather eat them than something that is 50% high fructose corn syrup. What is the point of being skinny if you aren't healthy?
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    I would skip both and do an apple or 1/2 natural peanut butter sandwich or handful of raw almonds or few slices of turkey meat. If you are absolutely stuck without other options, the higher calorie one sounds better.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    I would do the healthier one. Most likely it will fill you up for longer, and then ultimately, you'd eat less calories, than if you had to eat another snack.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    I would just skip both all together and choose peanut butter/celery or an alternative snack...preferably fruit or veggie.