Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

should i keep my high calorie intake on nontrainning days?

Im 27, 5'8" and 147pounds
I want to get lean and big
I try to have a high protein diet but still havent seen much results.
Should i eat more junk food with empty cals and more carbs?
Should i not eat my 2700 cals on nontranning days?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

how did you come up with 2700 cals? what's your training routine at the moment?
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    The only way to grow is to eat. Your body requires calories to repair itself.
  • You haven't given nearly enough information to answer this question. What are you trying to achieve in the first place? Lose weight, gain weight, put on muscle, maintain muscle, build strength, maintain weight.....??? And how long have you been training to not see results. You need to be training for an extended period of time before you see any real results, 6 months +
  • cleavensmith
    cleavensmith Posts: 8 Member
    Generic simple answer on non-training days keep your protein and fats the same and cut your carb intake to half.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Choose one or the other but not both. In most cases this will be more efficient.

It takes time. Additionally, what training program are you on? Are your lifts going up?

Not enough information provided regarding your total carb intake.

Whether you eat the same intake daily or a staggered intake is largely going to come down to personal preference and gym performance. I'd look at those two factors first.

Just as one example, if I attempt to eat significantly lower calories on my rest day, it's a recipe for poor gym performance the following day.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    It doesn't matter so long as it balances out over time (e.g. a week, a fortnight). In my experience, if I try to exercise in the morning after having not eaten much the day before I feel weak and tired, which for me is a good reason to try to balance out what I eat rather than having particularly high and low calorie days.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Muscle growth is an all the time thing. By not maintaining a consistent calorie surplus you are limiting potential your growth rate.

The idea that on nontraining days the gain ratio skews more toward fat (hence the reason to reduce/eliminate your surplus) is nothing more than unfounded speculation. If there is a difference, it is so small to be below the threshold of what can reasonably be measured. Cleaner gains when carb cycling is more a function of the tiny overall surplus you tend to have than the timing for the calories/macros.

That said, it also depends on how you determine your goals and count. If you don't count exercise and keep a constant intake, your surplus will be bigger on nontraining days than on training days. If you use MFP as designed and count exercise cals, your intake will vary but your surplus will be a constant.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Just lower your carbs
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Bump for later.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Muscle growth is an all the time thing. By not maintaining a consistent calorie surplus you are limiting potential your growth rate.

The idea that on nontraining days the gain ratio skews more toward fat (hence the reason to reduce/eliminate your surplus) is nothing more than unfounded speculation. If there is a difference, it is so small to be below the threshold of what can reasonably be measured. Cleaner gains when carb cycling is more a function of the tiny overall surplus you tend to have than the timing for the calories/macros.

That said, it also depends on how you determine your goals and count. If you don't count exercise and keep a constant intake, your surplus will be bigger on nontraining days than on training days. If you use MFP as designed and count exercise cals, your intake will vary but your surplus will be a constant.
    I agree with this.
  • I have been training in the gym lifting weights for almost 10 years.
    the most progress i've seen is that i started at 17 with 135 pounds and now im 147.
    i would like to get ripped and lean . maybe weight around 165
    the 2700 calories was given my "My fitness pal app"
    i train 5 days a week,
    try to always go to failure or just to train as heavy has i can.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Not gonna happen brother.
    One or the other, take your pick.
  • MityMax96
    I have been training in the gym lifting weights for almost 10 years.
    the most progress i've seen is that i started at 17 with 135 pounds and now im 147.
    i would like to get ripped and lean . maybe weight around 165
    the 2700 calories was given my "My fitness pal app"
    i train 5 days a week,
    try to always go to failure or just to train as heavy has i can.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sounds almost like me.
    I have been hitting the gym for about 19 years.
    Started at ~135, currently sit at 177.....

Got to eat right, workout, and make sure you take some rest days.

If you are not doing anything like Intermittent Fasting.....
    Then I would set your caloric intake to whatever you have figured it to be, and eat that daily.
    Your protein should be
    0.8 - 1.0 gr/ lb of bodyweight
    Fat should be
    0.4gr/lb of bodyweight (minimum)
    Carbs can make up the rest of your calories to get you to your caloric goal
  • MityMax96
    Something along these lines perhaps.

GRAMS per day
    363.5 carbs
    165 protein
    66 Fat
    33 - 41 Fiber
    Total == 2708
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Some really bad advice on this thread. Anyway, If you normally eat only 2700 kcal a day, which isn't a lot, you'd be wise to eat the same kcal on rest days. For an adult male 2200 kcal is the minimum recommended for rest days. I am a female and I burn over 3000 kcal a day, so maybe you need to eat a bit more.
  • You all have been awesome !
    thanks for all the replys.
  • Ups, now i am 154lb ... so, there has been some gains...
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Bumping for later
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Some really bad advice on this thread. Anyway, If you normally eat only 2700 kcal a day, which isn't a lot, you'd be wise to eat the same kcal on rest days. For an adult male 2200 kcal is the minimum recommended for rest days. I am a female and I burn over 3000 kcal a day, so maybe you need to eat a bit more.

I am intrigued as to what you believe is bad advice?

Could be one of the only threads I've seen on MFP that didn't have bad advice given to me.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Even for tiny adult males?