coffee & protein powder

Options
FunSizedK
FunSizedK Posts: 144 Member
So I was just wondering if anyone has put their protein powder in their coffee because mine smells just like vanilla coffee creamer?

Replies

• Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    bump for replies....curious to see what others have to say about this.
  • FunSizedK
    FunSizedK Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/508658-protein-powder-and-coffee

Apparently is does not mix well in hot coffee but you can use with ice coffee!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/508658-protein-powder-and-coffee

Apparently is does not mix well in hot coffee but you can use with ice coffee!

Put the coffee and powder into a blender - works great. And it actually dissolves easier in hot coffee. Dissolution is easier/more complete at higher temperatures.

Yes, I've done that several times. The only two issues I have are 1) the concoction tends to be overly foamy; and 2) I have to be very careful (I use a Ninja) to make sure the seal between the cup and blade-top (?) remains intact, as I've had a couple accidents where coffee ended up everywhere - this usually means mix for 5 seconds, reseal, mix for 5 seconds, reseal, repeat as necessary.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I dissolve the coffee granules in a little hot water then put that in the blender with the powder and milk, find it to grainy if don't dissolve the granules first
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I mix mine (vanilla flavor) in with my hot chocolate powder. I mix them together dry so there are no lumps then I mix in a little milk to make a paste and then add the hot water. Delicious way to get your protein!

(I subscribe to the IIFYM lifestyle, before/in case anyone comments on my use of hot chocolate powder)
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Tried it once, bleh! What I would recommend for a protein coffee is Big Train Frappe Fit. SO delicious and you can have it hot, iced or blended. I have the Vanilla and Mocha. Mocha is the best.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem. You have to add it to coffee that's not quite hot or else it curdles in the most disgusting way possible I tried making a cafe mocha the other day and had to dump it down the sink. Add the powder slowly and mix really well then you can re-heat it in the microwave to almost hot.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I put instant coffee in my shakes. Kind of the same idea I guess.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I used to make a protein shake from protein powder and almond milk, then use that as a creamer for my morning coffee. But in an effort to cut a bit of extra calories, now I just use a splash of the pre-made Muscle Milk protein shakes that I buy in the store. The chocolate shake in my morning coffee is delicious!!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I mix mine (vanilla flavor) in with my hot chocolate powder. I mix them together dry so there are no lumps then I mix in a little milk to make a paste and then add the hot water. Delicious way to get your protein!

(I subscribe to the IIFYM lifestyle, before/in case anyone comments on my use of hot chocolate powder)

Yum. I mixed half cookies and cream powder with half hot chocolate mix and even added marshmallows. So good!
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time on days that I workout. I let my 8oz of coffee get to room temp and I use my daughter's formula mixer to blend and it tastes so good. I use triple chocolate protein powder so it tastes like a mocha.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have. I take 2 cups hot black coffee, 2 TBSP heavy cream and 1 scoop vanilla whey powder. Put all into my magic bullet and blend away... tastes great. Works great with chocolate as well...

Great at night with decaf coffee as well... I'll do this if I am short on protein for the day...
  • nordeast_yah
    Options
    I like it with cold coffee and chocolate Muscle Milk.

But yeah, don't use hot coffee or you end up with chocolate cottage cheese.

Yuck.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I know someone who tried it and he said it was a disaster. So I thanked him for trying it for me and I didnt try it.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I like it with cold coffee and chocolate Muscle Milk.

But yeah, don't use hot coffee or you end up with chocolate cottage cheese.

Yuck.

Not if you put it in a blender...
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle instant coffee crystals into my vanilla protein powder. It mixes very easily with cold water and a little shaking. I pre-mix the dry materials in glass bottles (from snapple bottles or bottled starbucks coffee) and keep them dry at my desk.

It's perfect for an afternoon snack and tastes as good as Muscle Milk. I'm not a fan of instant coffee but using it with protein powder kicks *kitten*. The afternoon caffeine is a nice bonus, too.
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    sounds like a good way to denature protein to me
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    sounds like a good way to denature protein to me

So, do you eat your eggs raw then? steak raw? etc? Some denaturation will occur when cooking those as well. Just saying...
  • DJMIKEY1
    DJMIKEY1 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    HS1105083.jpg

mmmmm love this stuff