Insomnia

Options
HarleyFatboyFan
HarleyFatboyFan Posts: 344 Member
Does anyone have any good ways to fight insomnia? I go to sleep for two hours then wake up for two hours then sleep two more hours. It's taking it's toll on my physical health.

Asking for insomnia cures from people who are up at 3:00 may not be the best avenue to take for relief suggestions. :bigsmile:

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Warm milk?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    What is waking you up? tossing and turning, or noise, or your mind is too active to totally relax?
  • rikwaynik
    rikwaynik Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but I've been told that Melatonin works well. You should check with a physician. I should, too. :)
  • HarleyFatboyFan
    Options
    What is waking you up? tossing and turning, or noise, or your mind is too active to totally relax?
    waking up as in get out of bed and go watch TV or Surf the internet
  • HarleyFatboyFan
    Options

This...

What helped for me in the past was taking a hot shower (40-45 degree celcius) for about 10 minuts, slept always 5-6 hours straight after that
    good idea, I'll have to try that
  • HarleyFatboyFan
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but I've been told that Melatonin works well. You should check with a physician. I should, too. :)
    I've tried Melatonin and didn't have any good results. I've taken benzodiazepines and they didn't work. My problem isn't getting to sleep it's staying asleep
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I suffered from this for almost 10 years. Finally after taking/trying every suggestion and every medical prescription known to mankind I was referred to a sleep clinic and am now getting proper treatment. It's been 2 months now and I'm up to almost 4 hours a night. If I could get 5 or 6 I think I'd be in heaven and I do believe there is now hope. My dietician couldn't express enough how proper sleep will really assist me with weight loss down the road, although I'm plugging along even with the added challenge. I feel for you. It is clearly a misunderstood disease by many people and oh so frustrating on top of exhausting.
  • jonmscharff
    jonmscharff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya...my father had it when I was a child and I didn't really think much of it. Now that I have had it for years it really wears on you physically and mentally. I have found that adding workouts in the evening helps. But I have a lot of stress at work and that is probably the main cause and I don't really know how to stop that. Good luck to you though.
  • HunterKiller_deleted
    Options
    *kitten*. Works for me.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Melatonin and valerian help me.

Also, even just a little light in the room can disturb you, especially if it's blue/green/white light.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a powdered Magnesium Citrate supplement at night and it helps me a lot.
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Not getting any results from my various attempts. It's like I'm in the habit of waking up, so I wake up and lay there. I've tried getting up to read, but I just don't get tired. It takes its toll.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I went through a time with insomnia just as you describe. When I left that stressful job the problem went away. Also helpful:
    • Stop drinking caffeine drinks after lunch.
    • If you wake up, get up. So some kind of quiet activity like reading until you are sleepy again.
    • If your mind is going a mile a minute with undone things, write them down on a notepad by your bedside.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Not sure what got rid of my insomnia because so much happened at the same time. I changed my diet by eliminating all sugary drinks and fried foods. Added fresh fruits, produce, nuts and oatmeal. Started running in the morning about five miles a day at 4:30 AM. Dropped 50 pounds which also cured my snoring. The only problem is I fall asleep watching TV at 9:30 each night.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have been reading up on this online. I fall asleep as soon as I hit the pillow, but wake up early in the morning and seem to be awake for hours. Often, I fall asleep again just about the time I need to get up.

Some good suggestions here! I would add to keep your bedroom cool and keep electronics out of the room. When I am not sleeping, I have a habit of frequently checking my cell phone for the time. It does not help me!

70044776.png
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    100% pure cherry juice
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm not an insomniac, but this is a solution that I've heard helps.
    OP, you might try listening to music as you wind down. I previewed German-born British composer Max Richter's Sleep and nearly melted! Now I want the album, just to wind down to. The secret is that this is an 8-hour classical piece, with simple, repetitive beats meant to be slept through. Feel free to do further research, buy the album if desired and let us know what you think!