bad week

Options
hi ,I have been doing this for a few weeks now and have lost five pounds ,very happy, however this week I thought I had my best week in regards of diet and exercise but I put on one pound,feeling very disappointed .anyone out there have any adivice

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    your weight will fluctuate 1-5 pounds you probably lost some water weight the first week. Just keep it up you will see results.
  • jbonifacio731
    Options
    If you've been working out, you've probably been building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat! It happened to me the first 2 weeks, but I realized I was gaining muscles and that made me feel even better. Don't beat yourself up!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It is not really possible to put on significant quantities of muscle on a calorie deficit and not 1 lb in one week. Water weight fluctuations is a more likely culprit - maybe you caught yourself on a 'low' day last week and a 'high' day this week, or maybe you ate more sodium this week.

What matters is the trendline over all the weeks.
  • badgerdh
    badgerdh Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I agree. I started MFP on 6/20 and was 331 (had already lost 34), i'm currently 304.8 (was 301.4 last week and was 303.6 the week before and 308 the week before that). I have learned through months of doing this that week to week my weight has fluctuated from -7 lbs to +4 or 5 pounds a week. Overall, the key is the big picture. As long as the trendline continues to go down over all the weeks, you are good. Don't get discouraged by bad week or two.

Keep it up!
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    You can not let 1lb dicate your entire week. Weight fluctuates. Depending on what you ate in the last 1-3 days you could be retaining water. If you worked out a little harder this week your body will retain water to heal your muscles. Its a process, weight will go up and down. The first couple weeks are usually the easiest b/c most people lose water weight. Then their bodies adjust to the new food and exercise and the weight comes of slower.

Do NOT let it frustrate you. You're doing amazing. You did not gain over night and you will not lose overnight. Keep at it. Weigh every day or every other day - same time (first thing in teh morning is best). And that way you can adjust your food/exercise accordingly. However, more important... take measurements and pictures. Its the only true way to know yoru progress.
  • mooseman71
    mooseman71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It happens to pretty much everyone. I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago and felt down as well. Just keep your chin up and keep at it and you'll get where you want to be.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    we all have our ups and downs!
    get out there and go for a nice walk and breathe some fresh air!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    your weight will fluctuate 1-5 pounds you probably lost some water weight the first week. Just keep it up you will see results.
    ^^THIS^^
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you have lost 5 pounds in what you describe as a few weeks. That's a great success! You can't dwell on one or several weeks that don't go as planned... Stick to your plan and you will do great! Good luck!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, you will lose that pound and more, it happens to everyone and you've still lost 4, it's better than nothing. Keep trying, you can do it.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Three steps forward and one back, with most of your steps being forward.
    Your pound of weight may be related to salt and water, or eating a lot of meat, or water weight to sore muscles. Something I read here is that when you start lifting weight, water goes to those sore muscles to help the inflammation, so you might actually gain a bit of water weight.
    Keep going. It will come off if you do the right things.