Runners........time reducing

Is it possible to reduce a timed run by at least 45 secs in 3 wks?
Would i have to go out a run every night or wld 3 times a week still manage it?

Replies

• wiserebel
    wiserebel Posts: 28 Member
    How far are you running?
    What speed can you run now over what distance?

Si
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Is that 45secs per mile/km or 45secs off overal time (I'd guess the 1st one). Is it possible of course it is, as the person about asked how far are you having to sustain this for ?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    45 seconds per mile off pace time? No.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    45 seconds per mile, or off the total distance? If total distance, what distance are you talking about?
  • Its only 1.5mile, i need to be able to complete it in under 14mins . Best iv got is 13.53, but i want to reduce as close to 13 as possible. Its for police recruitment uk
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I'm not sure how much you'll be able to improve physically... but in such a short distance over such a short timespan, willpower may be enough to get you there. 14 mins is certainly doable. I'd bet 13:30 is too. 13 mins might be tough though. Hard to say for sure without really knowing you.

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Do some hill sprints some HIIT and ensure you stretch alot (im being hypocritical) stretching really helps I do not do it often enough myself and I pay the price for it. Ensure some recovery time before the test and sleep. I think its doable its only 1.5 miles. I know on my runs depending on how I feel, how tired I am, the weather, my physical wellness my pacing can easily vary 30 sec a mile day to day if not more.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Possibly.

I just started running a few months ago and I have been reducing my time each week. I started off running 17 minute miles in September and have improved my time each week. Last week I ran a mile in 12 minutes and 25 seconds. I guess because I am such a slow runner I have been able to shave a lot of time off my mile. Last week's mile was 12:25, but the week before that was 13 minutes... 35 seconds faster!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Its only 1.5mile, i need to be able to complete it in under 14mins . Best iv got is 13.53, but i want to reduce as close to 13 as possible. Its for police recruitment uk

OK, for such a short distance it might be possible. I thought your were talking about something longer. Do some fast intervals, hill climbs, and a longer slow run each week. When you actually do the test I think adrenaline will kick in and help you out some.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Two recommendations:

1) make sure you warm up and get your HR up to aerobic pace before attempting this test... do a 10 minute brisk walk or light jog (whatever is best for you without tiring you out)

2) Don't do this while dieting. Eat at full TDEE for at least 3 days before the test.
  • Thanx very much. I only started running 2 months ago and went from 30sec running to 30mins continuous running. But im just so slow lol, i look like a hippo out of water so ungainly , i get the job done but im sure i can speed up. I used to do 100m sprints at school 14yrs ago but i was never a long runner.
    Its strange on days i think that was a crap run im under 14 and days i feel gd im well over by alot but i didnt feel sliwer than normal.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Interval training - sprints, you have to practice running faster
    Strength training your legs
    I knocked 3 minutes off my 5k time by doing a combo of the two...not in 3 weeks though.
  • Iv been told we do a short jog for a warm up before the test so i shld be alright that way. The advantage during test will be that il try keep pace with the others to a point just because i dont want to be last lol.
    Iv slowly built up to a 3mile long run and im going to a bit extra each week. Tempted to train for some 10k or half marathon next year just as challenges dont need a time for them.
  • I do Insanity at home couple times a week , would this help with speed?
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    If you don't overdo it, it might actually help. If you can keep your running cadence steady, extra power in your stride will propel you further (and thus you will move faster) - the jumping exercises in Insanity can help with building up some of that explosive power.
  • 3 days a week is sufficient for your goals given a good smart training program that you work hard in; and not just jog at "comfortable pace". One interval run or sprint day, one tempo run for 2-4 miles; throw in a longer run 6-7 miles. Weight train on the other days; basic compound movements with linear progressions. Add mobility and flexibility as well. Rest on the 7th and focus on active recovery with walking and stretching. In the mean time, type in "good running form" on google and find articles by credible authors and do what they tell you.
  • Thank you very much for the info, i think my form is slowing me down. Really need to fix it.
    The only problem i find with Insanity is sometimes my knees are to sore for a run. I still go out but just a slow long run , after a soak and stretches they feel bit better.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Although the greatest reduction in overall time will come from increasing your pace over the first 2k how you finish the last 400m can shave quite a few seconds off your time.Try visualising the last 400m like the last lap of a race....

400m to go you hear the bell and increase your pace, down the back straight 200m to go increase pace again (long strides, good form, breathe), come off the final bend and sprint - ignore the pain the line is coming.

If you are going for a PB you should have nothing left when you cross the line - don't just "plod" there!
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    I am running while doing Insanity since I'm trying to avoid losing my running base during the program -- I do my run BEFORE the scheduled Insanity workout so that I don't compromise my running form from being worn out.

Form really can play a huge part in pacing. For the upper body: Focus on releasing tension in your shoulders; don't let them scrunch up towards your ears. Keep your arms ~90 degrees and don't clench your fists. (As Shaun T likes to say, imagine you're holding potato chips in each hand! :wink:) Swing your arms a bit with each stride - no dinosaur arms! - but make sure they stay parallel to each other not letting them cross in front of your body. I tend to get really sloppy about this as I get tired, but I find that focusing on pumping my arms straight forward and back also helps me put a little more power into my stride. It's a magic way to speed up without putting in too much effort!

I'm also really bad about running with a steady cadence (treadmills are a nightmare for me, as a result!) Running to the beat of music (180 bpm) is INCREDIBLY helpful to me. Good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Here's one way to maximize your gains over the next three weeks. Run 4x a week, as follows:

- 3 miles** once a week, at a relatively easy pace
    - 2 miles twice a week in intervals, 400m fast/easy intervals
    - 1.5 miles once a week, at a pace fast enough to be "somewhat uncomfortable"

And once a week, 4-6 all-out 100m sprints, with 3-5 minutes rest between each sprint.

Stop running 72 hours before the test.

How much improvement you get will depend on genetics and your effort level - three weeks is not very long, but this will help.

** This is based on a minimum of 2x your test/desired distance, go further if your body is up for it
  • Thanx il give this.a try :)
    Here's one way to maximize your gains over the next three weeks. Run 4x a week, as follows:

- 3 miles** once a week, at a relatively easy pace
    - 2 miles twice a week in intervals, 400m fast/easy intervals
    - 1.5 miles once a week, at a pace fast enough to be "somewhat uncomfortable"

And once a week, 4-6 all-out 100m sprints, with 3-5 minutes rest between each sprint.

Stop running 72 hours before the test.

How much improvement you get will depend on genetics and your effort level - three weeks is not very long, but this will help.

** This is based on a minimum of 2x your test/desired distance, go further if your body is up for it