C25K...check. Now what?

Options
Just finished week 9 on c25k last night. Now I'm wondering what's next? What's worked for you? I want to keep my cardio fitness. I think I need to add some strength in too. I'm just kind of lost now. My big goal from the last couple months is accomplished.. now what?

Replies

• triskaidekaphile13
    Options
    Congratulations. After I finished C25K I still wasn't able to run 5K in the 30 minutes. My next goal was to run 5K at all and I started doing parkrun. I then added strength and flexibility training to help me stay injury free and get faster.

I run three times a week with one run being longer than 5K. I do hill training and intervals to keep pushing myself and it took me a year to be able to run parkrun under 5K. Since then I've broken that new PB/PR twice and continue to keep pushing to get faster.

My week involves three runs, two cycles, two long walks, a minimum of 10,000 steps every day and strength training alternate days. Doing a regular timed 5K on the same course has really helped me. I started out being last on my first parkrun and have since volunteered as the tail runner at the back to encourage those who are just starting out. My first parkrun was over 42 minutes.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So hard, i had the same dilema and i don't think i'm over it, finding it more difficult to re-engerise and find a goal.

I tried the c210k app which i thought i love the format of the programme should work, but the time required to do the programme is double that of the c25k and i have been struggling to do in the week with busy job and it getting darker at nights.

So downloaded running for weight loss which is about the same time as c25k running interval training with sprints, so im focusing on a faster pace and i like this at the moment, but i know i don't have the same buzz as i did before with c25k goal.

Its not easy to find a goal that is really motivational when you've just acheived one recently.

What do others think?
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you OP!

I finished C25K back in March and by the end wasn't running 5K in 30 mins - more like 3.5K in 30 minutes. And I didn't have a clue what to do next.

So I just kept up the routine of running for at least 30 minutes, 3 times a week.
    I've experimented with trying to go faster for a shorter time, and going slower for a longer time.
    Now I just run 5K (with 0.5K of brisk walking before and after).

I now can run 5K in 30 minutes, but that has only really happened in the last week or two. I feel much less tired and much more energised both during and after running these days, so even if I am not miles faster, I feel miles better.

I do bodyweight strength training on the other 3 days, then take a break from scheduled exercise on the Sunday.

I think the important thing is just to keep getting out there 3 times a week.
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see I'm not alone on this. It is getting colder and darker at night, but I have to get past that. Just getting out there is a great goal. And maybe it's too soon to expect a major goal as motivating as c25k right now. There is a 10k in June. But yes I think my next goal is going to be just getting out there at least 3x a week. Thanks! This thread was really helpful to me :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k about two years ago, and I'm still running 3 days a week, doing strength on the days in between.

What are your goals for running? Do you want to increase distance? Run a half marathon? Improve speed?

At first I kept running the 5k distance - I was still so amazed that in just a few weeks I went from being an absolute non-runner to being able to run that distance without stopping. :bigsmile: I mixed up (and still do) the distances I run on the three days during the week. Don't increase distance too quickly or you risk injury. Some days I tried to go just a quarter of a mile further. Then I might do 3 miles again. Then increase distance a bit.

You could also download a 10k app, many of which will pick up right where you left off with the c25k - gives some structure and a plan for you to follow. I used c25kFREE and 10k Trainer, both by Zen Labs and both free. I actually never finished the 10k app, but did my own thing after awhile. I did make it to the 10k distance and a little beyond. I also increased my speed over time.

Enter some races if you need a goal to keep you going. The Zombies, Run! app is another good one to work speed intervals in - you get an ongoing story that plays out in your headphones as you run, with your own music playing in between. During the music parts, zombies chase you and you have to speed up to get away from them! It's fun, and definitely adds some excitement!

Good luck - and congrats on completing c25k!
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 9 on c25k last night. .. now what?

For me, I tried to keep up with the same running schedule, 3 days a week of at least 3miles each run.

That has mostly held true here almost 18 months later. Now I'm running 4-5 miles on my longer runs and a 5k on the shorter ones.

I've signed up for a half marathon next year and will start training for that in the Spring.