Weight lifting calories?

I use a Polar FT40 HRM to count my exercise calories. I generally time my weightlifting sessions as well, separate from my cardio.
I started thinking though, is it accurate to measure calories with a HRM whilst lifting weights? Should I be noting these calories down in my exercises. I never eat back any of these calories but I'm just wondering whether these are should be measured/considered, etc.

Does anyone have any information for me?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    A HRM won't be accurate for lifting because the algorithms are set for steady state cardio with a significantly raised HR. Lifting really doesn't burn many calories, and that isn't it's purpose.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    A HRM won't be accurate for lifting because the algorithms are set for steady state cardio with a significantly raised HR. Lifting really doesn't burn many calories, and that isn't it's purpose.
    This. I don't count lifting calories or really any exercise calories. I just set my activity level up one notch to account for it in calculating my TDEE and take a % off that for my deficit. For me, the whole figuring accurate exercise calories and eating different amounts on workout days and non workout days unnecessarily overcomplicates the whole thing.