Problem with left leg walking

Options
Ok - I started walking two weeks ago. I've walked at least 4-5 times a week. I just bought a pair of walking shoes a few days ago. The problem I'm having is that my left ankle hurts me so much when I walk, esp halfway through the walk. Also my left leg at the knee goes outward, like it isn't on straight. I tried running today, managed to run a minute, but I was so out of breath afterwards but I finished my 3.6 miles in 72 minutes. I'm scared about my left leg, because the more I walk on it now, the more it looks like its going to snap.

Replies

• Tish
    Tish Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If your leg looks like its going to snap, go to a doctor. You may just need a pressure bandage or maybe even physio who knows. Dont keep exercising if your in a lot of pain, thats your bodies way of saying something is wrong. If you take care of it now recovery may not be too bad than if you leave it and keep exercising on it you could do a lot of damage. You will enjoy your workouts so much more if your not in pain. Hope it works out for you:-)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I see from your profile you're an MS sufferer, so it's probably best to consult your GP rather than get an internet diagnosis.

Well done on your progress so far - that first minute is always a killer - but best to find something that doesn't hurt until you've seen the doctor. If you enjoy swimming, that's a good option.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You need to get your doctor to answer this one!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using both legs?
  • mooseman71
    mooseman71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor and get it checked. You also might need a different set of shoes. Shoes that are great for one person may not work well for another. If you ankle feels weak in a specific direction a little physiotape might help as well. In regards to the knee, you might have some weakness in the vastus medialis which is the innermost muscle of the quadricep. You can do leg extension while toeing in to help strengthen it but I would definitely see your doctor first to see if it's neurologic.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Definitely go see your Dr. as everyone has suggested.

Curious though, is the pain on the inside of the ankle or outside?
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    Since you have MS, you should see your doctor. However, it's possible the type of shoes you got aren't for your feet at all. Depending on your arches, you may need different shoes. You may also have stepped on your ankle wrong, thus causing it to be in pain. I know that when I do vigorous exercises without shoes, my ankle hurts like a * for days afterwards. Good luck!