How to add DVD calories burned to plan

Options
Just wondering - I see on some diaries that people are able to locate the calories for a specific work out DVD - for example - Yoga Meltdown or 30 day shred. I cannot find these in the database! Do you all just look it up somewhere else and create your own exercise for that or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and/or a pedometer (gps) to measure time/distance/heart rate/estimated calories. I subtract what I would have burned in my daily activities (roughly 100 calories per hour) and record the result.

Another way of doing it is a pure estimate based on perceived exertion. At a heavy-to-moderate exertion (7-8 on a scale of 10), I burn about 800 calories an hour. If I did a 30 minute DVD at that rate I'd record 400 calories.

Remember in the calories in/calories out model, all of the numbers are estimates (yes, even the food calories are estimates based on burning food in a beaker). Your body is not a beaker. It is a unique set of chemicals, minerals, hormones, etc. You have to see what works for you and not go overboard trying to get to an exact formula when there are no real constants.