Pilates and Yoga

Options
poustotah
poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
I've recently gotten into pilates and yoga and after taking yoga once a week for the last couple of months I really noticed an increase in my flexibility. I would like to continue but my gym doesn't offer a lot of yoga or pilates classes. Can anyone recommend some good DVD's that I can use at home?

Replies

• stringcheeze
    Options
    I have one of Mari Windsor's sets. It's a 3-DVD set; basic how-to, twenty minute workout, advanced body sculpt. I'm not sure if it'll be worth it to you if you've been doing pilates for awhile, but they're great for beginners/intermediates.
  • megharber
    Options
    I haven't tired this dvd yet, but one of my friends that is HUGE into fitness said that the Firm is a great series to go with for pilates. i would not recommend Yoga for Dummies.. it frustrated me and went way to slow.

My local cable has an exercise channel that i have flipped through and done a few on it.. do you have anything like that in your area to try?
  • ChaosInTheFlesh
    Options
    i like rodney yee (sp?) for yoga
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Shiva Rea, she has many DVD's, the one I have is called Yoga Shakti. There's 4 pre-programmed workouts to chose from ranging from beginner to advanced (the two advanced sequences are really tough, not really suitable for a beginner, I have a hard time with them and I've been practicing yoga for years). But there's this cool feature called the Matrix that allows you to build your own sequence...I mostly end up using that because I find the beginner sequence too easy, and the others too hard and long, so I just pick what I want to do based on how long I have to work out and how adventurous I'm feeling. One other thing I like about her DVD's is that they're filmed in exotic locations, so they're really nice visually (as opposed to the tired "exercise studio" set that is used in most exercise vids).

You can also search for clips on youtube of different popular instructors like Shiva Rea, Rodney Yee, Brian Kest, etc and see which has the right feel for you.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I liked yoga booty ballet.